23

"Let me drive," Lux says while Austin fusses with her helmet strap and then Pete's.

"Not on your life."

"What about your life?"

Austin sighs then climbs on and motions for her to get on in front of him. She grins and climbs on. "Hold tight, let's see how fast this bitch can go!" she declares. "20 km...it says so on the speedometer," Austin deadpans. "Ye of little faith," Lux says then clenches her jaw when Austin places his hands on her sides. His hands are so big the tips of his fingers almost touch. Yet another test failed and another item landing on her Z list. She hates big hands. She hates Austin's hands. "You alright there, Lux?" he whispers.

"I am fine."

"You sure?  Because it does not feel like you are breathing."

"My skin crawls every time you touch me."

"Mhmmm, You and me both," he whispers then lets go of her one side, reaching forward and turning the key making the engine purr. "Twist the handle on the right to go faster and the peddle by your right foot is the break. Don't fuck around, it's slow but still not a toy," he says placing his hand on her side.

She twists her right hand and the moped whines then moves forward slowly. She twists her hand back more but it does not make much difference as they creep down the hill. It would still be faster to walk. About halfway down the hill gets a little steeper and the moped goes a little faster. Lux tightens her grip on the handlebars, a little nervous now as it starts to go faster still. She is starting to feel like she has little control. "Lux, slow down," Austin says suddenly.

"How?"

"Tap the brake pedal."

Lux taps the brake pedal, but nothing happens. She tries again, but nothing happens.

"Lux."

"I am fucking trying, but it's not doing anything!" she shouts as she starts tapping the brake pedal repeatedly, freaking out now because she can see a sharp bend coming up. "Relax, Lux. Just go with the road, turn," Austin says calmly. Lux tries to turn the handlebars but they lock and she can't do a fucking thing. "Austin! It's fucking locked. It's locked!" she shouts - fully freaked out now. Austin's arms suddenly wrap around her waist tightly. "Let go of the handlebars, Lux," he says, still calm. How the fuck is he so calm!? She lets go then Austin puts his feet out on either side of the moped and stands, lifting them both off the moped. They stand watching the mobed roll forward and then shoot off the embankment on the other side of the road.

The guide pulls his moped to a stop next to them along with the rest of the group. Austin still has Lux in his arms with her feet dangling like an oversized baby. "Happens all the time. Brakes are not guaranteed - says so on the indemnity form," the guide says with a fucking smile on his face. "Breaks are safety 101," Lux points out. "Yes, but you did sign the indemnity form, so now...just a suggestion. You guys walk down, it's a nice walk," the guide says then takes off slowly on his moped along with the rest of the group. Lux looks at where their moped disappeared and sighs.

"I can not be held responsible for this."

"Well...you did go over 20 km..."

"Put me down."

They walk down the hill and you would think they would be alone, but they catch up to the moped gang and walk between them as they head back into the city where the guide has arranged a new moped for them. He makes them sign a new indemnity form before he hands them the keys. Comforting. "You drive again," Austin says handing her the keys. "No thank you," Lux says pushing his hand away. "So if the brakes fail again you will lift us off the moped?" Austin asks. Lux's feet don't touch the floor when she is sitting on the moped and she has no chance of even moving Austin. "Fine!" she says snatching the key and climbing on. Austin climbs on behind her and they roll forward, catching up with the rest of the group.