Ch 3. Odd feelings

[Art is not made by me]

Eddie Dear's POV:

I woke up early in the morning. I rolled out of bed, stretching my arms over my head. "Ugh..." I'd groan, ruffling my messy hair. I looked over at my bed side dresser and noticed the letter I had written for Frank last night. Oh right! Almost forgot that I still had a job to work. I'd rise up from my bed and get dressed in my classic uniform, picked up the lone letter from my dresser and stuffed it into my rather empty messenger bag. I only had a few letters to deliver today.

After having a delicious breakfast I opened my front door to start my shift. I first made my way to Howdy's store. I walked up to the front doors, spotting the "open" sign hung up. Good thing that it's open or else this would have been an awkward situation.

I entered the store, slightly startled by the ringing bell above the door. "Good morning!" I heard Howdy call from the back of the store before peaking his head around one of the shelves. "Oh Eddie! I'm glad you came. Can you help me with something really quick?" I nod my head and walk towards Howdy. "Hold out your hands." He instructed to which I oblige and held out my hands. Howdy placed a heavy crate in my hands. "Take this to the fruit section." Howdy said with a smile, completely oblivious to me struggling to hold onto this large crate.

"Y-Yep! Sure thing!" I'd blurt out, walking to the fruit section as Howdy told me. I placed the crate down with a thud. Out of curiosity I'd peek inside the crate. "Apples?" I said to myself, jumping up as I heard Howdy's voice come up from behind me. "Yep. I keep having to refill the apples because Wally keeps stealing them from my shop." He'd sigh. I turn around to face him to see him casually carrying two large crates with ease before placing them down beside the other one. Damn he's strong! "Well thanks anyway, that's all I really needed help with. Is there anything I can do for you Eddie Dear?" He'd smile once again, brushing off his hands on his apron. "Erm, I'm alright for now but I do have some mail for you." I replied; Digging through my messenger bag I slipped out a letter addressed to Howdy Pillar from Wally Darling. Howdy took the letter from my hand, glancing down to see who it was from and gave an annoyed look before looking back at me. "Well thanks again, Eddie. Feel free to take something on your way out, it's on me." His classic smile returned before walking off. I took a water bottle before I left, stuffing it into my bag.

I then walked over to Poppy's barn, knocking gently on the door. "One second!" I heard from inside along with some shuffling. The door opened up as Poppy stepped out and knelt down to meet my eye level. "Why good morning, Mr. Dear. What are you doing up this early?" She'd say in a soft and gentle voice. "Please, call me Eddie. But I came to bring you your mail." I'd chuckle, handing over two envelopes. "I believe it's from Sally and Barnaby." I'd say while Poppy took her mail. "Oh feathers! It must be about those cookies we planned to make tomorrow. Thank you, Eddie." Poppy smiled warmly; Waving goodbye while I walked off to my next stop.

I lastly arrived at Frank's house, walking up to their porch and knocked. It was quiet for a few seconds before the door swung open, Frank standing in the doorway. "Oh. Eddie-" They'd say; Clearly they weren't expecting me. "Hello Frank! I've got a letter for you." I said, reaching into my bag. While handing over the letter I noticed my cheeks getting warm. It's just a letter! Maybe it's just the weather... "Thank you, Eddie." They said, glancing back up at me before closing the door.

(Sorry if this first part was a little bit long *sob*)

[Fast forward a few days]

Frank Frankly's POV:

Finally Wally made the decision to install the mailboxes for everyone. "It took him long enough." I huffed, looking at the boring looking mailbox from the road. "It's missing something." Julie said while standing beside me. "Oh! I know!" She then ran back inside her house. I stared at her door for a few minutes before she came bursting out from her house with her arms full of paintbrushes and colorful paints. "We can paint our mailboxes together!" She said cheerfully, dropping her pile of supplies at my feet. "That's not a bad idea." I said with a smirk.

Me and Julie got busy decorating my mailbox; collectively deciding on flowers and butterflies. I was busy painting on a teal butterfly when I heard footsteps coming up behind us. I stand up and turn to face a familiar figure. "Eddie!" Julie cheered, jumping up onto her feet. "Howdy, Julie!" Eddie said with a charming smile, tipping his cap. "Good evening, Eddie." I'd say solemnly. Eddie came forth and stared at my newly decorated mailbox. "Say, your mailbox is coming out great!" He'd say, placing his hands on his hips while admiring mine and Julie's work. "Thanks Eddie!" Julie said proudly, her eyes shone with pride. Eddie then turned to me, looking at me strangely...

"What?" I huffed. He'd step forward, coming awfully close to me. "You got a little bit of paint on your cheek, silly." He'd chuckle, taking his hand and resting it on my cheek while rubbing away the paint with his thumb. I felt my face burning up as I kept eye contact with him. So close. I practically felt the air being sucked out of my lungs.

After what seemed like forever, Eddie stepped back and smiled innocently. "Tch- I could have gotten it myself." I say grumpily, bringing up a hand to partially cover my face. He knew what he was doing. Ugh! I'd catch Julie watching with a sly smile, pure mischievousness on her face. "Oh right, I forgot what I came here for." Eddie then dug into his messenger bag and took out an envelope. "Here!" He'd hand over the envelope with that same smile. That stupid, charming smile. I took the envelope from his hand. "T-Thanks." I stuttered. Why was I stuttering?! What's wrong with me? Eddie then said a brief goodbye to the both of us before walking off.

"OoOoOo~" Julie teased. "Looks like someone's flustered~" "Oh shut up Julie! I-... I was just a bit startled." I shouted, embarrassed. I tightened my grip on the envelope, obviously irritated that someone who just moved into the neighborhood over a week ago has me acting like THIS. "I'm going back inside for a bit." I'd say, turning around and quickly walking back into my house, slamming the door behind me.

I'd lean over the kitchen counter, my mind swirling with odd feelings and thoughts. "Whatever, this will pass... eventually." I muttered to myself. After a few minutes of calming myself down I'd place the envelope on my side table before stepping out again. "You're back? Well your mailbox is almost finished! Do you want to help decorate mine after we're finished?" Julie said so innocently, just like nothing happened. "I suppose." I'd sigh. Kneeling back down to finish making details on the teal butterfly I was previously working on.

(Total word count: 1256)

I loved making this chapter! Hopefully y'all enjoyed it as much as I did! :) - TiKi