Ch 9. Drunken confession

[Art is not made by me]

Mentions of alcohol/alcohol consumption and intoxication! If you are uncomfortable with these subjects then I advise you to skip this chapter. Thank you for reading!

Narrator/no one's POV:

Eddie finished a long day of work, staggering to his house's front door. "Phew..." Eddie sighed, digging around in his messenger bag for his keys. Once he recovered his keys he'd unlock his front door and walk inside, making sure to lock the door behind him.

He hung his cap and messenger bag on his coat rack, walking past the front desk area towards the non-post office section of his house. (Girl idk how to describe his house. It's hard enough when you don't have any cannon visuals from inside their houses 😭)

After Eddie changed into some more comfortable clothes beside his work outfit, he made his way towards his personal desk where he would spend his free time on his personal projects. He took a seat and started on one of the projects. He recently learned about origami and wanted to try more techniques.

Mid-way through his activity he heard his doorbell ring. Eddie wasn't surprised by this because his post office was open 24/7. So, he stood up from his desk and walked over to his front door. Once he unlocked it, he opened the door. "Whether letter or parcel, whether rain, snow, or shine, we weather the weather and never decline! Who may I assist?" Eddie sung, taking a second to notice who was at the door.

"Oh! Ms. Partridge." He noted, giving a cheerful smile. "Thank goodness you answered, Eddie Dear! I was starting to get worried." Poppy said in a worried tone, her ruffled feathers started to relax and lay flat again. "I was going to offer you to come to my house for some dinner! I wanted to have some company over. I also made more food than I had originally planned..." She said, muttering the last sentence.

"I would be delighted, Ms. Partridge! Give me one minute to prepare then I'll be over quickly." Eddie accepted Poppy's offer excitedly. The two shared a goodbye before Eddie closed the door, walking over to his room to get ready.

Once Eddie had finished getting ready he walked out of his house and towards Poppy's barn. Eddie knocked upon Poppy's door only for a few seconds to go by before it swung open. "Ah, Eddie Dear!" Poppy happily cooed, "Please, come inside!" She stepped aside and waved Eddie inside. "I've got some more people coming over but Howdy is here! He can keep you company while I continue making the dinner table. You can make some small talk in the living room in the meantime!" Poppy chirped, leading Eddie into her living room before stepping away into the dining room.

Howdy was sat on a couch reading a newspaper, glancing up at Eddie's arrival. "Ah, well if it isn't the mailman himself, Eddie Dear!" Howdy confidently smiled, standing up to greet Eddie with a handshake. "Why howdy, Howdy!" Eddie chuckled, shaking his hand. Howdy laughed along with Eddie, taking his other hand and tapping his shoulder. "Come on, take a seat." Howdy replied, sitting back on the couch as Eddie followed in suit; sitting next to him.

The two made casual talk about how each of their work was coming along before they were interrupted by a knock at the door. "I got it!" Poppy called from the dining room, rushing towards the door and answering it. Poppy greeted whoever was at the door before letting them inside. Poppy led them into the living room where they were finally in view.

"Frank and Sally? Well, I wasn't expecting you two to be here, much less Frank." Howdy chuckled, leaning back in his seat. Frank let out a sigh before turning to Poppy and whispered close. "I'm sorry Poppy. Sally just.. insisted on being here once I mentioned it. There was no changing her mind." Frank shook their head. "Oh it's fine dearest. The more the merrier!" She nervously chuckled. She then turned to face the rest of the group. "Dinner will be ready soon! I just have to make some... adjustments." She announced awkwardly before returning to the dining room.