Ch 8. Rainy days

[Art is not made by me]

I saw a couple of people writing similar concepts so I wanted to make my own version! :D

Eddie Dear's POV:

I was making my final rounds around the neighborhood after a day full of running around, delivering mail. My final destination was Barnaby's house which was colored a bright blue with splattered paint across it. I walked over to the red door with blue spots poorly painted on and knocked against the wood.

The door swung open to reveal the giant blue dog, Barnaby B. Beagle. "Ah, Eddie! What brings you here? Perhaps to hear one of my worldwide, famous jokes?" He'd chuckle.

"I'm afraid not, Barnaby. Although, I do bring you a gift from Poppy! When I visited her earlier she told me to deliver this knitted hat to you." I'd respond, digging out a box that was neatly tied with ribbons and handed over the box into Barnaby's paws. "Oh! Why how thoughtful of her!" He'd smile while opening the box to reveal the knitted hat.

Barnaby took off his tiny top hat and shoved the hat onto his head. "Hey, It has ear holes! She remembered!" Barnaby said excitedly, pulling his floppy ears through the holes. "Say, how do I look? Pretty fancy aye? I'd say, I could pick up any damsel in this hat!" He'd laugh and I'd cheerfully laugh along.

"I'm sure Barnaby. But I got to head back home for dinner. I'll see you around, Barnaby!" I'd call over my shoulder before walking off.

Narrator/no one's POV:

The clouds above started to turn a dark grey, rumbling angrily. Eddie sighed, looking up at the dark sky. The clouds started to drizzle as thunder could be heard in the distance. Of course Eddie Dear was the one to get stuck in horrible weather. The rain started to pour down now.

The mailman grumbled under his breath as he tipped his cap forward to shield his vision as he made a dash for the closest shelter, Frank's porch. He'd climb up the stairs, panting and out of breath. Eddie frowned as he realized how soaking wet his clothes got. "Oh come on!" Eddie groaned, throwing his head back and palming his face with irritation.

The mailman collected himself before he acknowledged his only option. He'd reach his hand over to Frank's door and knocked.

Frank Frankly's POV:

I was sat on my couch, doing what I usually do, reading a book. Although, during my reading I was rudely interrupted by a knock upon my door. "Who would be here, especially in such bad weather..?" I'd mutter to myself before placing my book down to answer the door.

I'd open the door, only to see Eddie Dear standing there, completely soaked. "Eddie?" I would say in a confused tone.

"I'm sorry to bother, Frank- But, I got caught up in this bad weather and you were the closest house." He'd reply sheepishly. Clearly the confident, prideful mailman's pride hurted by having to seek help. "Well-..." I cleared my throat, "I wasn't expecting any visitors today but I suppose you can come in." I'd step aside to let him in my house before shutting the door closed behind him.

I offered to take his messenger bag for him before speaking up. "Clearly you need to take a shower. So, I'll allow you to use mine this one time. In the meantime, I'll try to find some clothes that'll fit you."

"Awh jee~ The grumpiest neighbor is being so kind to the mailman? What a shock!" Eddie playfully teased, taking off his cap. I'd silently roll my eyes and turned away to hide my flustered face. "It's just down the hall, first door to the left." I'd say, shooing him away with my hand. Once I heard his footsteps have faded away I'd let out a deep sigh.

I slowly made my way to my bedroom, swinging open my closet doors. "Ugh... How am I supposed to even find something remotely his size?" I'd groan. Clearly I didn't think this through... how stupid.

After a few, long minutes I managed to find some old clothing that should be suitable for Eddie to wear. "There." I'd sigh, internally groaning at the fact that I had to rip my closet inside out in order to find these clothes.

I heard some shuffling behind me, turning around to see Eddie standing in the doorway. "Find anything?" He questioned. He was topless with a towel wrapped around his waist. "Yes." I said blankly as I tried to remain calm, blush staining my cheeks. I'd roughly toss the clothes at him before turning away to organize my closet again. "Now go back and get dressed."

"Thanks!-" I'd hear him call from the hallway. I'd grumble under my breath as I placed back the clothes back in my closet in color coordinated sections. That's normal, right? This gave me some time to reflect on what Julie had mentioned to me the previous day. Did I really love Eddie or is something else? UGH! This whole 'love' thing is so difficult!

After my closet was neatly organized again, I returned back to the living room. I'd walk over to the nearby windows and peered outside. "It seems like this storm wont pass soon..." I'd mutter to myself, walking back to the couch and picking up the book I was previously reading.

Midway through my peaceful reading, Eddie bursted into the living room with a cheesy smile on his face. "Hey look, it fits!" He'd cheer out. I'd glance up from my book briefly, "Good. By the way, I don't think you'll be able to make it back to your house in this bad of weather. So I decided to graciously allow you to stay the night." I'd reply, gesturing towards one of the windows so he could see how bad it was outside before returning to my reading.

A few moments of silence filled the room before Eddie finally spoke. "O-Oh. Well thanks Frankie!" He replied.

"It's Frank. Only Julie calls me that stupid nickname." I'd correct him, refusing to look up from my book. "Oh! Right, my bad!-" He'd awkwardly chuckle.

Narrator/no one's POV:

A few minutes pass by of the two making casual small talk before the topic of 'who would sleep where' came up.

"You're the guest, it's only right that I sleep on the couch tonight." Frank said firmly.

"But it's your house and your bed. I should sleep on the couch." Eddie countered.

"Suit yourself." Frank replied in a sassy tone, crossing their arms and turning away from Eddie to say that this argument was over. Eddie seemed to be taken aback by Frank's response, "Wait what- You're not gonna-?"

"Oh my goodness Eddie..." Frank interrupted him and palmed their face before turning back to face him. "Just pick one. Sleep on the couch or on the bed. I'm not going to go back and forth." They'd shake their head.

"...Fine. I'll sleep on the couch." Eddie sighed.

"Glad we could compromise." Frank said, a satisfied smile upon their face.

(Total word count: 1212)

I didn't know how to end the chapter so you get this. I have to be honest, I was not expecting people to actually be looking forward to new chapters nor all of the support that seemingly came from no where lol! I do appreciate all of you who read or interact with my story! :D -TiKi