Ch 6. Butterfly fields

[Art is not made by me]

Enjoy your yummy dessert I made for y'all <3 (savor it because I made it extra long for you ;] )

Eddie Dear's POV:

It was the day after Julie made the great idea of trying to have me talk Frank out of their "hibernation". After finishing my mail route I slowly made my way towards Frank's house. Why am I so nervous? I thought to myself as I walked up Frank's porch where they would usually spend most of their time on a sunny day like this. I'd glance down at the wooden rocking chair Frank would sit in, empty. I'd sigh, wiping my sweaty palms on my pants before lifting my hand and knocked on the door.

The door swung open to reveal Frank looking down at a book in their hand, not even looking up from the page they were reading. "Julie I told you I'm busy-" Frank cut themselves off when they finally looked up from their book and stared up at me. "Uhm- Wrong puppet." I'd chuckle nervously. Frank's expression remained stunned for a split second before their face turned completely red with (seemingly) embarrassment.

The door suddenly slammed right in my face.

Frank Frankly's POV:

"Oh my stars- this is not happening right now." I'd mutter to myself as I pressed my body firmly against the door. "Why is Eddie here?!" I'd silently scream at myself. "Can I please just chat with you, Frank?" I hear Eddie call out from the other side of the door. I'd open my mouth to reply by saying that I was busy today but my morbid curiosity got in the way of my logical thinking... or is it something else? Oh forget it! Anyway, I'd collect my composure before opening the door once more.

"Ahem-" I'd clear my throat before continuing, "I apologize for slamming the door. I was just not expecting to see you- erm. Please, come inside." I'd choke out. Eddie carefully entered the house, glancing around. I'd close the door behind myself before speaking out again. "So, what is it you needed to talk to me about?" I would walk over to my bookshelf and return the book I was reading back into place. "Oh- uh-...." Eddie stuttered, clearly unprepared for the question. "I just wanted to check up on you, y-you know."

I'd swiftly turn around, my arms crossed over my chest, unsatisfied with the answer he had given me. Eddie clearly saw my unsatisfaction and continued rambling; "Cause I was worried about you- and, everyone is. I-I mean! I mean Julie was worried about you, a lot, and you just kind of disappeared with no warning so- so I decided to see how you were doing... on behalf of Julie..." Eddie sputtered; giving a nervous, awkward smile. I let out a deep sigh, "I'm fine, Mr. Dear." I replied while glancing away towards my bookshelf. "You got a lot of books." Eddie blurted out.

"Yeah, I like to read." I'd say blankly as Eddie walked past me and took a closer look at the bookshelf. "I'm surprised I didn't notice it when I was here last time." He spoke softly, taking out a book from a shelf and flipping through it's pages. "Do you like bugs? Or-... butterflies?" Eddie questioned, looking up at me. "Uh... yeah, I do. I'm an entomologist. In other words, someone who studies insects. Although, I do specialize in butterflies." I'd say with pride. No one usually asks me about my interests. So I am glad at least someone asked.

"That's pretty cool! I mean, it's ironic coming from someone who isn't a big fan of insects." Eddie chuckled, looking down at the book. "Really? What's there to not like? I mean insects can come in all shapes and sizes! Did you know that there are approximately 900,000 different species of insects, and it is suggested that there are over millions of species left to be discovered? Don't you just have that complete thrill when you find an insect? You just get to marvel in it's uniqueness and beauty. Every insect is like it's own person with it's own personality....."

Narrator/no one's POV: 

Frank continued to ramble on their passion as poor Eddie stood there in complete silence. Eddie glanced around and started to look out one of the windows that overlooked Frank's flowerbeds, glad at least the rose bush was looking okay. Eventually zoning out as he observed the beautiful garden. Meanwhile, Frank noticed and tried to snap him out of this odd trance Eddie was stuck in. "Hellooo? Oh come on.." Frank huffed out, "Earth to Eddie? Excuse me?!" Frank said, snapping their fingers in front of him yet nothing seemed to work.