Chapter 8 - "That's All You Want Us To Be?"

As they fought, Geralt's mind began to clear. He couldn't help but realise the danger they were in. He had to protect her, just as she had protected him.

Y/n noticed the change in Geralt's demeanour, he fought with newfound determination and a fierce protective instinct that Y/n couldn't deny. Anticipating each other's moves, and covering for one another when needed they fought as a team, and successfully so.

Despite their efforts, the creatures were relentless. Y/n's protective spell over Geralt had faded, and he was starting to feel the pain of his injuries from his earlier battle with the two beasts.

He did his best to push through the pain, knowing that they couldn't afford to show any weakness in this life-or-death battle.

They managed to injure one of the beasts, weakening it enough that it decided to retreat and lick its wounds. However, the other creature remained persistent, refusing to give up the fight.

The beast began to corner them between a set of trees causing Y/n to retreat from offensive magic to defensive.

Y/n channelled her magical abilities, focusing on casting protective barriers to shield them from the creature's relentless attacks. But she was also aware that her magical energy was running low, and she couldn't keep up the defences forever.

Seeing an opening, Geralt manoeuvred himself to position himself between the creature and Y/n. Geralt could feel the weight of the responsibility he had taken upon himself. The injuries from the previous battle and the strain of the current fight were taking a toll on his body, but he pushed the pain aside.

"Y/n, we need to find a way to finish this," Geralt called out, his voice strong and determined despite the pain he felt.

"I know," she replied, her voice dripping with urgency. "But I'm running out of magic. I won't be able to hold these barriers much longer."

Geralt glanced around, trying to assess their surroundings for any advantage they could use. He noticed a clearing with a cliff with rocky ledges and a narrow pathway that might give them an opportunity, which was a long enough sprint away.

"Y/n, when I say so, retreat towards the cliff," Geralt instructed. "We need to get them neat that cliff."

Without hesitation, Y/n nodded, trusting Geralt's instincts. As they continued to fend off the creature's attacks, Geralt deliberately steered the battle toward the cliff's direction.

When the moment presented itself Geralt shouted, "Now, Y/n!"

Y/n quickly complied, sprinting away towards the cliff as Geralt covered her retreat. The creature followed, its eyes fixed on Y/n, seemingly eager to take advantage of any opening.

As the creature lunged forward, Geralt carefully defended Y/n pushing back the large beast with the little magic he possessed only to, once there was enough distance between himself and the beast, sprint behind Y/n towards the cliffside.

He could feel the adrenaline surging through him, his instincts sharpened by the danger they were in.

"Geralt duck behind something." He was ready to fight back against her only to feel as if she had an ace up her sleeve. He grunted, sliding behind a tree and disappearing from the beast's view, causing it to follow after Y/n as she continued to sprint with no sign of slowing down.

She could feel the beast catching up to her as she approached the ledge. The initial plan she had concocted of getting under the belly of the beast had been thrown out the window because the beast was far too close as she approached the cliff.

Y/n let out a grunt as she continued to sprint with no sign of stopping only to leap off the ledge of the cliff.

The creature let out a piercing roar as it dived after Y/n. Geralt stood in shock as his heart stopped, waiting to see if she would emerge again. But there was only silence.