Chapter IX

DRAWN AND QUARTERED

Anne paced back and forth, a hand firmly pressed onto her right hip, the other partially in her mouth. It was a nervous tendency of hers to pace back and forth while bruising her index finger with her teeth. A nervous tendency which had become more prominent in the passing days.

"Sit before you cause yourself another hemorrhage." Henry ordered. Her constant pacing was unnerving him more than Jane's own admittance to her incestuous actions. "You shall be escorted to your quarters once this is all dealt with. You should've never been churched so soon."

"Dealt with?" Anne paused her pacing. "Does this mean the Seymour's are to be exiled from court?" — she raised a brow —" That — "

"Will you stay still?!" roared Henry, partially out of worry and partially out of anger.

"Your majesty, you called for us?" said Sir John Seymour as he entered the room with his son at his side.

Anne glared at them both.

"Yes, I have." Henry said, directing his full attention to them. "It appears your son and daughter were caught in a compromising position in the gardens this morning and as head of the Church of England I cannot in good consciousness let their immoral actions go unpunished —"

Anne raised a brow at the older gentleman.

"Y-your majesty — " stammered Sir John Seymour.

"I've heard enough on the matter and have chosen not to condemn your son and daughter to death but to exile your family from court instead and to strip your son of his titles." said Henry.

Anne's jaw fell soft at his decision.

"But your majesty — " protested Sir John Seymour.

"You have until sunset to gather your things." Henry remained firm on his decision. "All of you — your very presence is upsetting the queen and what upsets the queen upsets me — and our children and I cannot have my children upset at such a tender age,"

"May I ask what brought on these accusations?" asked Sir John Seymour. "Or should I say who?" He glanced over at Anne as she stumbled back onto an arm chair. "There can't possibly be any truth to them. My daughter — "

"The Queen, and the Lady Mary," answered Henry.

"Pardon me, your majesty, but your eyes must've deceived you."
Sir John Seymour said, directing his attention to the young Queen. His voice softening with every word in an attempt to manipulate her to his advantage. "It has not been long since the birth the Prince and you have not rested properly. Perhaps —

"Perhaps nothing." Anne said, sharply as she stood. "As I've told your daughter, my stepdaughter is neither blind or a liar and neither am I."

"No of course not, madam and forgive me if I've offended you and your daughter. But if anything. I've had nothing to do with this atrocity you speak of." Sir John Seymour said, abandoning the sinking ship. "I shouldn't be exiled because of it and neither should the rest of my family. We are all faithful servants to god and king — "

His son's neck snapped in his direction. "Enough father! It was you who convinced me to do it." he yelled. "You said we had to do everything in our power to keep ourselves in the kings good graces. You even went as far as to encourage Jane to poison the queen and her children,"

Anne clutched her stomach as a light gasp left her mouth and she stumbled back onto Henry who caught her by the waist.

"After you offered to rape her and convince the king she had bedded you willingly so that we could rid ourselves of her!" retorted Sir John Seymour, almost as if he had forgotten, that her husband, the king, their king stood before them.