Chapter X

BLOOD RUNS THICKER THAN WATER

The night had swept a new perspective into King Henry's mind for upon his rising he had ordered the death of Jane Seymour out of respect for his Queen and the future of England which as much as he detested to admit laid within her womb. But above all his decision had been solidified by his love for his queen and his need to prove to her that it remained intact. More so than his affection for the young Jane Seymour who he did not wish to put to death but whose death warrant he had nevertheless signed and sealed.

"I know not the kind of sorcery you've worked onto my husband the King but I do know that I hold more power than you believe me to have," said Queen Anne as she circled around Jane Seymour in her quarters for she had ordered her to be brought to her the moment the news of her death warrant had reached her. "Like the titles of the men in your family and their many properties — and your sister's whose lives I intend on making as miserable as you once attempted to make mine. As for your mother you can rest assured she will pay for the sin of having brought you and your sinful brother to this world."

"Your majesty — " cried Jane Seymour, unaware that her life was to be cut short for she had yet to be told. "Please..! I had no part in it,"

"If a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity." said Lady Mary as she emerged from a dark corner.

"Leviticus 20:17." adjourned Queen Anne.

"Please... your highness." Jane continued to cry. "My family and I have done nothing wrong. It has all been my father's doing."

"Oh enough with the begging." Queen Anne said, rolling her eyes at the young blondes tears. " I have heard more than enough of it and besides they'll be plenty of time for you to do it on the way to the Tower of London so don't waste your tears with me."

The young blondes breathing came to a halt and her eyes became frozen with fear.

"The king has ordered your execution," informed Queen Anne. "You are to join your father and brother in death."

"No!" screamed Jane. " I beg of you! Please! I don't want to die!"

"And neither did I!" yelled Queen Anne. The image of her brother on the scaffold resurfacing like a persistent nightmare.

"Your majesty, please! It was not my doing! I never wanted to be queen—" Jane sobbed at her feet.

"Nonsense!" Queen Anne, said kicking her away. "You were more than ready to assume my position and to cost my children their lives."

The young blonde fell back and quickly gathered herself onto her feet. "And you weren't as willing to assume Katherine Catherine's?" she dared to query.

"How dare you!" Queen Anne shouted madden with anger by the very insinuation. "Contrary to you I did what I could to avoid the King in beginning,"

Mary raised a brow for she did not believe that to be true.

Then, almost as if remembering that they weren't alone the young blonde turned to the Lady Mary and proceeded to make an attempt with her. "Lady Mary, this woman — "

"Is your Queen." Lady Mary said, cutting her attempt short. "And you'd do well to remember it." Never had Mary ever imagined she'd be defending "The Harlot" who had ruined her life but here she stood doing just that for the sake of their budding alliance and her life.

"Tread carefully, Jane." said Queen Anne with a creeping sly smile. "The journey to the Tower of London can be quite treacherous as can the rodents that reside within its walls.

"Lady Mary, Please! " Jane said, redirecting her attention to the twenty-year-old in another attempt to gain her as an ally. "From one pious Catholic to another. Have pity on me! Have me sent not to the Tower of London, but a nunnery to repent my sin!"

The young Queen looked onto her step-daughter for her response.

"I cannot." Lady Mary said, with her hands positioned at her stomach. "I hold no power and even if I did. Blood runs thicker than water. You're very presence threatens my sib— "

"Indeed it does." Jane blurted out. "But both feel the same when you eyes are closed and you'd do well to remember your father has placed his other children above you! His only legitimate child —"

"I'll have your tongue for that!" snapped Queen Anne.

"Have it!" spat Jane. "I've spoken nothing but the truth. The king's only legitimate child stands before us. Your marriage is nothing but a farce in the eyes of god! In truth you're as much a sinner as I am! And for that you shall burn in hell alongside me for eternity

A woman could only be pushed so far and Anne was right at the fucking edge, she charged herself at Jane like a madden beast, grasped onto her by her neck and launched her toward a burning fireplace in the room, prompting her to become engulfed with flames within seconds of her having fallen into the fireplace head first.

Anne sauntered back with her blue eyes fixed on the flames. Admittedly she had just committed a grave sin but she did not care for she felt it to be more than justified.

A horrified squeal left Mary as the young blonde cried out bloody murder and royal guards bursted into the room under the impression that it was either she or her step-mother who were being harmed.

"Assist her," ordered Anne, her voice coarse and rugged. Never had she ever would've wanted to cause someone this much harm. Nor did she ever believe herself capable of it. But Jane had awakened the worse part of her. The part of her she would need from now on to survive the dangerous world she had been thrusted into and was now expected to survive in.

The royal guards rushed to the now silent young blondes aid putting out the flames one by one.

"Take her away," said Anne, anxiously glancing at Jane's chest for a sign of life. "The Prince and Princess are soon to be brought to me and I do not wish for the mere sight of her to haunt their dreams,"

The guards wasted no time in doing their queens bidding, they lifted the dames seemingly lifeless body off the ground and headed for the door. Mary's eyes widened at the sight of her scorched body and her hands came to together in prayer. But before she could even begin to pray, her step-mother collapsed on the ground, hitting her head on a nearby piece of furniture in the process, and rendering herself unconscious and defenseless. Defensless to her. The only other person in the room and daughter of the woman she had scorned years ago. If she wanted to she could very well avenge her mother and blame Jane Seymour for it. Her father would believe it. He'd believe the stress of their altercation had weakened her already weakened body and caused her an early demise. He wouldn't question it one bit. No one would. She could forever rid herself of her. Of the woman who had ruined her life. Surely she'd be better off with her dead than alive. Despite their newly formed alliance for like her future it felt uncertain.