Chapter VI

AN UNLIKELY ALLIANCE

Greenwich Palace, May 24, 1536

Henry knew that he couldn't leave things with Anne as they were for he would need a supplement heir to calm his nerves, and wouldn't find pleasure in forcing her to give him one. He loved Anne and the passion that had once burned between the two of them, and wanted it back more than anything but knew it would take great effort to get it back. Thus, he dismissed all of the ladies from her household that had testified against her and banished them from court, along with their husbands, and had Wolsey beheaded for high treason. Jane Seymour, however, was left untouched as he felt that he would be temporarily needing her for his sexual desires as Anne was surely not going to willingly tend to them any time soon.

Word of her ladies dismissals traveled throughout court at the speed of lightning and soon reached Mary who was shocked to her very core by her father's abrupt decision, as was Anne, but she was more angry than shocked as he had kept Jane Seymour at his side. "Pray tell, Lady Mary. How does your father expect me to forgive him when he continues to keep his mistress at his side?" said Anne, as she interrupted Mary's needlework by barging into her bedchamber unannounced dressed in one of her signature lavish gowns.

Mary's smart mouth nearly got the best of her, but she quickly bit her tongue and gave her a crusty alongside her maids. "I know not, your majesty." she said, sitting back down and resuming her needlework to distract herself from the snarky response at the tip of her tongue.

"You know, Mary?" Anne said, sauntering over to her and dismissing her maids with a wave of her hand. "I was thinking about having your father reinstate you as one of his heirs, but before I do that I would very much like to know whether you're loyal to me or... his wench."

Mary couldn't understand why her step-mother wanted her loyalty, surely she was safe from her father now that she had given him a male heir. "I- I am loyal to the crown, your majesty." she said with a stutter. "And those who represent it."

"I know you are, Mary. But the question is, are you loyal to me? And I know we've had our differences, but we've also had good times. Such as the time I taught you how to fly a kite while I was in your mother services."

Mary remembered that day vividly and it had plagued her mind during her parents divorce trial as she had found it hard to understand how a woman who had once been so kind to her could be so cruel to her mother. "To you," she mouthed with every ounce of her being for as much as she loved her mother and her church she did not want Elizabeth to have to go through the same hell had gone through during those days. "As I would not like to see my dear sister suffer the way I once did,"

Anne grinned. "Oh, sweet, Mary, you are as thoughtful as your mother," she said taking a hold of her chin and looking into her doleful blue eyes.

The feel of her hand brought Mary great discomfort and so  she slipped her chin out of her hand and stood from her chair. "Why?" she uttered bravely with her hands on her stomach and her chin in the air. "Why do you wish to have my loyalty? It's not worth much,"

"Because during my time at the tower, I realized that religion is a powerful weapon, especially when you're a Catholic — You see your mother would've never been imprisoned had she slander as I was," (she begun to pace around her) "No, the pope would've aided her and believed her every word she said... not the ones spoken of her," (she stopped and looked at her) "Would he have not?"

"I suppose..." Mary said fidgeting her fingers. "But what does this have to do with me?"

"Well, my sweet, Mary. " Anne said smilingly. "You're not only a Catholic, you're the daughter of a Spanish Princess — which means that if anything shall happen to you, the pope and Spain shall intercede."

"I do not understand," Mary said, placing her needlework to the side and standing.

"I wish to be a Catholic and I know the Pope won't believe me unless you a devoted Catholic backs me up, and if anything shall ever happen again, I'd like to have him and Spain at my disposal." Anne said astutely.

"Y-you want to be a Catholic?" Mary said in disbelief as she stumbled back onto to her fireplace. "And mean to use me as leverage?"

Anne caught her by a hand and pulled her forward. "Yes.... and no... religion is a weapon, especially when you're a Catholic... and right now I need all the weapons I can get my hands on to not only protect me... but my children... and if you stand by side... I will protect you as if you were mine... I will do what I failed to do for your mother. I will grant you my loyalty... and all ask is for you to grant me yours. But of course, if we're loyal to one another, we will fall together, however, with god on our side we will stand together."

Mary shrugged away and slipped her from hers. "My father won't allow it? Not after everything he's had to go through with the Pope to marry you...? And not to mention the pope.... hates you. Every Catholic in this realm does..."

"Who said anything about telling your father?" Anne said with a sly look in her eyes. "As for the Pope... I'm sure we can make amends if I promise him to steer England back to the true faith by raising your brother into a Catholic."

"You're going to practice behind his back?" Mary said astounded. "And —-"

"Oh, Mary you say that as if you don't do it yourself." Anne chuckled at her shock.

"But he tore England apart for you!" Mary said raising her voice because as much as she wished for every soul which had wandered away from the true faith to find their way back. She knew her father would have their heads if we were to discover them scheming behind his back. "If he were to ever discover that we're loyal to the pope and not him, he'll — "

"Behead us? I think not." Anne laughed.

"Forgive me, my lady, but you may not access Lady Mary without an invitation," said an armed royal guard as he followed a distraught Jane Seymour into Mary's bedchamber.

"Have you no decorum, Lady Seymour?" Anne said stepping in front of Mary and meeting Jane's eyes. "As the guard has informed you. The princess Mary requires an invitation to be seen and as far as I am aware she has not granted you one."

Mary pricked her fingers with her nails and thought wisely about her next move in this game of chess she had been forced to play from a very young age. "Nor will I ever," she said stepping into the light with poise. "For I am as loyal to the queen as I am to the crown,"

The young blonde's face sulked and she stared despondently at the young Queen and princess as they stared back at her with dominance and made her fear from what was to come now that they had allied themselves.