chapter 5 potions

In the morning, Mildred got up and looked in the mirror and was shocked. She did look noticeably different. She had long black straight hair, brown curly hair and emerald green color eyes instead of blue. Her face looked more stern than normal and she noticed that she would giggle every-time she smiled. She thought of people who also had a stern face but she couldn't think of anyone. So she walked down to breakfast.

Maud noticed the change and rushed over. "Mildred, what the heck happened to you?" Mildred explained that Mrs Cackle took the adoption spell away and left her with her true appearance. "It doesn't look too horrible right?" Maud smiled, "No, you look great." Mrs Cackle and Miss Hardbroom walked into the room. Mrs Cackle was shocked at Mildred's appearance but not as much as Miss Hardbroom. "Well girls since this is your sixth year to practice any project. I would like to see how good everyone's potions have improved over the summer, so here's a surprise potion class. Everyone fold their hands and I will take you there." So everyone including Mrs Cackle did just that, and by magic they arrived in the potion class room. " Right girls! For this test I have given you a book. Go to page 117 and there you will find the wide awake potion I make every day. There are 10 ingredients on each of those tables and once you stand, no one can disturb you or throw an extra ingredient in your cauldron. I have put the ingredients in numerical order on each ingredient, so no changing the order to suit you."

With that, all of the girls read their book for exactly two minutes as they were told. Mrs Cackle asked, "Constance is this potion possible to make? I heard it's really difficult." Constance looked at Amelia "Well it is quite difficult. I got it wrong the first time but I managed to get it right the second time, so it can be done." The girls finished reading their books, and Miss Hardbroom said "Right, as an extra bonus, you can all make the potion twice, because that's how many attempts I was allowed when I was younger." So when all the girls got to work, Mildred thought " This going to be useless, I am terrible at potions. Well might as well crack on and see what I can do." Then whilst making the potion she noticed that all 10 potions were unique to each other. They all had different ingredients like 1 and 10 together, 2 and 9 ,3 and 8, 4 and 7 and finally 5 and 6, but she also realised that if you did it from 5 to 1 and 10 to 6, you would make a dreamless potions complete opposite to the original potion she was supposed to make. She did it once and then finally did it the exact same way again. Plus, she wrote the thing she noticed in her diary. Mildred thought "This is weird. I understand the assignment better now plus I think I've corrected it first time. Oh darn! Miss Hardbroom is never going to believe me."

Eventually, everyone finished and collectively put their potions in a class test tube per group. Miss Hardbroom walked around and saw everyone had completed their assignment. Ruby and Jadu copied what MissHardbroom did when she was younger. Ethel and Drusilla were so close to each other, that the potions they made were similar. Enid and Maud's potions were also close, but she stopped at Mildred two potions. She was in complete shock but the portions were mossy green entirely, no hints turquoise blue in any of them as she expected. "Mildred, how did you do this? It's impossible to get it right both times." Mildred looked up at Miss Hardbroom and said "Do you want me to explain to the class how I managed it?" Miss Hardbroom nodded "Yes please. Demonstrate to the class as well so I can see you didn't cheat."

Mildred walked to the head of the class. There were 10 potions arranged and two test tubes ready for use. Mildred asked "Could I have an extra test tube. I just want to show the class something else." Miss Hardbroom allowed it but didn't understand why. "Now how I did it is quite simple. Is that all of it. 10 ingredients are similar like take ingredients number 1 it doesn't go with any others except number 10 like it carry on 2 goes with 9 like that it's like first row goes in order and the second should be backward because if you did it like this" she showed how she did it twice and the result was mossy green both times" now you are wondering why I needed the second test tube quite simple is that if you put 5 to 1 and 10 to 6 together you make the failed attempted but it's actually a potion is the dreamless potion I believe because these are the 10 most common ingredients and depending on the order you can make 10 different potion" Mildred showed the class how to make to make the mistake potion which is an actual potion.

Everyone was shocked including Mrs Cackle and Miss Hardbroom then Miss Hardbroom clapped and said "Well done Mildred finally you understand and are great at potions well done class dismissed."