Forever, I do

Lisa's POV

May 18, 1980

".....600 students gathered at Chonnam National University to protest against the suppression of academic freedom and were beaten by government forces. Civilian demonstrators joined the students."

It was 6:45 in the morning while the news flashing on the old television in our tiny living room, I stood up after finishing a toast of sliced bread with a sunny-side-up egg on top of it sprinkled with some chili flakes on it. I grabbed my coat, folded it in half, and put it around my arm as I walk towards the woman in her 30s, still chewing a piece of bread she ate 10 seconds ago. She's a slow eater I must say.

I leaned a little forward and then gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Let's talk about it later, okay?"

The pretty woman wearing her favorite crocheted light pink sweater didn't even bother to look at me. "Why not now? It's been a week since I opened this up, Lisa."

Staring at her blank expression, but still looking effortlessly beautiful, "Hon, later. Okay? I'll come home early if that's what you want."

"We just need to get over this, really." She let the deepest sigh go as if she really wanted to GET OVER THIS.

I nodded but not to agree. "I will see you again later. I love you." Then without giving her the chance to respond, I departed from our small house riding my brown 1978 Toyota Crown.

I turned on the radio, listening to the news while driving my car off to work. I am currently working as a sub-teacher in a public elementary school. I didn't finish my bachelor's degree because of the financial difficulties my family had been through. Yes, I have tried different jobs, trying to fill in what I lack or should I say trying to make a living for myself and my wife. Simple as that.

Wife.

No, we are not married. She told me that even if we're not married by paper, we are married by heart. For 11 years, we are just hiding. People are slowly learning but were not that open-minded to accept a same-sex relationship during the 1980s. And unfortunately, we are currently living those timelines.

Enough of that, we should talk about my wife, Jennie. Her friends from college call her Ruby Jane but I prefer Jennie. Why? She likes that name. She wants to be called Jennie.

We're living together, moving places from time to time because of my jobs. She hated the idea but at the end of the day, she chose to be with me. That is the reason why I am doing my best to earn money for us though sometimes, it's not enough. Sometimes, I blame myself for being selfish, for forcing her to stop pursuing what she wants because I will provide. I can provide. Sadly, these days, no matter how hard I try, it's just so hard to make a living and I blame myself for all of these.

"....With the approval of the United States, which had maintained operational control over combined U.S. and Korean forces since the end of the Korean War, Chun's government sent elite paratroopers from the Special Forces to Gwangju to contain the unrest."