𝟬𝟭⠀⠀Partners in Crime

CHAPTER ONE
Partners in Crime

★

͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀⠀ Han Sujin has always been fond of summertime

Especially on days like this, when the sun sits high and uncaring as its heat sears over Beverly Hills. She likes it better this way, she thinks. The blues of the sky seem bluer... the greens of the grass greener... and, of course, school's out - which means she's drunker. But that part, Mom and Dad don't need to know.

The drink of choice this particular afternoon is beer. Canned, with an aftertaste she can't quite put her finger on. It's no Moët & Chandon, she muses to herself with an ironic laugh, before welcoming a gulp of the funny-tasting liquid. She's not one to complain, though - it's quite airy for grocery shelf liquor, and the chilled aluminum feels otherworldly against her sizzling skin.

Besides, it was the only thing left in Lee Heeseung's secret stash, and beggars can't be choosers.

"Whatcha thinking about?"

Speak of the devil - the boy's lean frame comes into view. He's just come out of the pool, inky hair in damp strings over his eyes and a towel slung lazily over his bare shoulders. As always, his lips are twisted upward in a cheeky grin. Sujin frowns as her best friend's shadow blocks the sun from her face, raising her sunglasses to perch atop her head with a disapproving tut.

"How shitty your beer tastes."

Heeseung lets out a loud laugh - the kind that makes Sujin want to join in too - and makes an attempt to swipe the can from her relaxed grip. Only he seems to have forgotten the fact that he's absolutely, positively dripping pool water everywhere.

"What the- Hee!" Sujin shrieks, "Get away from me!"

He's laughing even harder now, beer long forgotten as he makes it his new mission to annoy his best friend as much as humanly possible. First, it's an exaggerated hug - one that draws a sharp squeal from Sujin's lips and drenches through the lightweight material of her top. Then, a cold hand to the shoulder. The pair bicker back and forth for a good few minutes before Heeseung decides to shut her up once and for all with a shake of his wet hair - sending a shower of droplets over not only the girl in front of him, but also every object within a 3 foot radius. He runs a hand through it for good measure, beaming with equal parts mischief and juvenile victory.