𝟬𝟱 ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀Welcome to Darisan

CHAPTER FIVE
Welcome to Darisan

★

 ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀⠀The steady rumble of suitcase wheels against gravel echoes after Sujin's footsteps as she makes her way up the main walkway of Darisan Preparatory School

The quadrangle in front of her - which acts as both the entrance and central hub of the school, she guesses - is made up of a large, grassy area bordered by pathways and several benches along its sides. There's a path that cuts through the middle of the lawn, stretching outwards to accommodate a water fountain showcasing an eagle carved out of stone, which stands proudly at its center. Sujin imagines on a regular day, this area would be occupied by students reading and lounging around in the sun; but today, it's almost completely deserted. Blame it on the sticky heat and first-day jitters, she supposes.

The main building itself looks like something she'd only ever seen before in fairytales, or a Harry Potter film. The parts that run along the sides of the lawn have grand archways for students to hurry along, and tendrils of ivy have started to creep up the stone over time - adding to the almost magical atmosphere of the area. Something about it makes Sujin's expression soften as she enters the building.

She hardly has time to take in the interior, however, as the driver ushers her through the maze of lockers and classrooms at an expert speed. They reach the end of a long hallway where he brings himself - and the trolley packed with all of Sujin's luggage - to a halt in front of a set of double doors. A golden engraving on the frosted glass paneling informs her that this is the Headmistress' office.

"Come in."

A loud voice booms from inside, startling Sujin for a brief moment. She pushes against the door and steps inside in one (fake) confident stride.

Immediately, she's met with a view of the mountain ranges she'd seen during the car ride through the massive window over the Headmistress' desk. They're still in the distance, but much clearer from this perspective, and foregrounded by the rest of the school grounds. This strategically-placed office, Sujin realizes, allows the Headmistress a view of practically the entire campus. She's always watching - and the thought sends a shiver down the girl's spine.