Chapter Five

I hear someone calling my name, but it's hard to recognise the voice. I'm unsure if it's a dream or the lifeguard shouting at the misbehaving kids playing in the sea.

Suddenly, cold water splashed onto my face, causing me to jump in surprise.

"What in the hell?!" I exclaim so loudly that people nearby turn to look. Feeling embarrassed, I apologised with a shy smile. I then directed my gaze towards Jack, responsible for the prank.

We are at one of the million beach clubs near our apartment, Seb and I share one sun bed and an umbrella while Daisy and Jack are laid on the sand with their towels. The cost of just one sun bed and an umbrella was 20 euros, which is ridiculously expensive. We gave the money to the cashier so slowly that he was afraid we would run out and never return ( which is what we were telepathically talking about).

I jumped up and grabbed the remaining bucket of water. Jack was laughing at his joke, but I got my revenge by throwing it back at him. He then picked me up like a potato sack and ran towards the sea. I was shouting, begging, and laughing all at once, and as soon as he touched the water, he threw both of us in.

The cold, light blue sea wakes me up and makes me feel protected and energized as the waves sway my body. After coming up for air, I take a deep breath as if I had been underwater for hours, even though it was only a few seconds.

Jack and I were soaked, so he suggested we call it a day with our game. He got out of the water before me, already brainstorming other fun things he could do.

As we walked over to Seb and Daisy under the umbrella, it seemed like they were having an intimate convo that wasn't meant for my ears. Daisy's intense gaze and Seb's posture, with his hands covering his face as if he had done something wrong, triggered my insecurities and doubts. As a result, I spiralled into anxiety and forgot about what had just happened.

When they saw us approaching, they changed their conversation completely, laughing uncontrollably and looking happier. But they don't know I saw them. They don't know I am observing.

I ask the two of them as I grab my towel and wrap it around myself to shield myself from the cold, wind, and drops left of the sea, "What's making you laugh so hard?"

"Nothing much, we were just talking about that time when my mum thought Seb was my boyfriend, and she was already planning the wedding for us," Daisy says, laughing like I never thought she was capable of. Seb quickly agrees with her and smiles at me like nothing has happened while we were gone.

"Would you like to go for a walk?" Seb asks, turning towards me. I accept the invitation with a big smile.

We started walking where the sea meets the sand, holding hands and reminiscing about our accomplishments and how far we've come, which made me curious to ask...

"What were you and Daisy really talking about before?" Looking at him, I perceived a weird feeling, like he was hiding something from me. Then all of a sudden, he gets all tense and lets go of my hand.

"Rachel, there's something I should tell you about..." I feel anxious and joyful as he finally opens up to me about what's been on his mind. It's been causing him to act strangely and avoid me, so I'm relieved to finally hear his thoughts.

Jack suddenly appeared as he was about to speak and jumped on Seb's back, causing him to forget what he was trying to tell me. Meanwhile, Daisy approached us with a group of new girls, wearing huge smile and radiating excitement.

As she pointed towards the group of four girls waving at us, she exclaimed, "Look who I just made friends with!" Seb and I greeted them with a smile, and they each welcomed us with a warm hug and two kisses on the cheeks.

The last girl in the group approaches me, hugs me and maintains eye contact; she introduces herself as - Chloe.