Chapter Seven

"What are you doing here?"

Chloe was behind me with a smirk on her face. She caught me following my boyfriend with my best friend, discussing some strange incidents that had occurred at the end-of-year dance.

My face turned red as pepper, and I started babbling excuses as if trying to hide what I had done. Chloe noticed my stress, knowing that I had been caught.

She holds my face in both hands to make my mind stop wandering for lies to say. After a few seconds, I felt the cold of her hands completely turn off my now gone-red pepper cheeks.

As I gazed into her forest green eyes, I couldn't help but admire how they beautifully matched my own blue eyes. Our identical shades of vibrant red hair, even more, emphasized our distinct features.

If someone saw us from a distance, they might mistake us for sisters instead of strangers.

I instinctively pulled away and quickly glanced down at my dress, avoiding her penetrating gaze. I could sense her waiting for me to respond with the truth.

"Nothing... I was waiting for the bathroom to be free!" I exclaimed, perhaps too loudly, causing the girls in the bathroom queue to turn and stare at me with puzzled expressions. They were likely wondering why I was hiding behind the bathroom wall.

"Okay? Well, I am going to my group if you see your friends come and join us here. It's my home address" As I stood there, she effortlessly took hold of my phone, swiftly unlocking it. My eyes followed her every move as she deftly navigated to the notes app, where she proceeded to jot down her digits and address.

She opens my purse, puts my phone in it, looks at me one last time, and walks off as if nothing happened. What the hell is going on?

I try to shake the memory of her eyes, but they remain stuck in my mind.

I didn't even notice my legs walking towards the crowd finding myself in the middle of sweats, kisses, booty shaking and people flirting with each other. I need to find Daisy, Seb, and Jack before they forget me here.

After navigating through a sea of bodies, I finally spot them at the open bar of the beach club. Daisy catches my eye and rushes over, enveloping me tightly.

"Rachel, we've been searching for you everywhere! I'm glad you're okay," she said, releasing me from the hug and looking me in the eyes. I could tell she was genuinely worried about not finding me.

On the other hand, Seb didn't notice me until Daisy shook him off and pointed her finger towards me while he stood on one foot and frenetically looked at his phone with his feet touching the bar's wood.

I waved awkwardly at him, and he slowly walked towards me, giving me a cold hug.

After giving me a quick kiss on the right cheek, he said, "I'm glad you're okay", and walked towards the club exit. I looked at Daisy, and she looked back at me, but I didn't ask anything.

Daisy takes my hand, but I don't feel excited. I want to know what happened at the college dance. Jack walks ahead and reaches Seb quickly. We follow and call a taxi home, silent.