Chapter 1: California Sun

Growing up in the lavish hills of Encino was an experience like no other. As a young girl from a wealthy family, I was accustomed to a life of luxury, with extravagant parties and designer clothes. However, beneath the surface of all the excess, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing.

-

My mother eyed me impatiently whilst tapping her heels on the marbled floor. She was always bothered by tardiness, and on this occasion especially, she couldn't afford to be late.

«I'm sorry Mom!», I quickly exclaim out of breath as I hurry down the steps of our porch and into the front seat of the Lincoln Continental. After a few seconds filled with the sound of shuffling keys and the revving engine, we were on the road toward Reseda.

The cheap atmosphere that pervaded the air around there didn't excite me; what did was that I was about to reunite with an old friend of mine. Daniel and Lucille were moving to California, and I knew just how much my mother was pleased by the news, since they were very tight in high school, back in the day, before she moved to Los Angeles.

We spotted a pair of familiar figures as soon as we turned the corner to the street their complex was on and I could see my mom beaming from the corner of my eye. I smiled to myself, always glad to spend time with Danny and Lucille, and even more glad that Christmas in chilly Newark wouldn't be the only time we would see each other anymore.

«Looking good, LaRusso!» I yell, exposing my head from the passenger's seat window. The boy turns around startled, but his lips curl into a joyful smile as soon as he recognizes my face. Lucille exclaims in surprise and waves at us hysterically.

Warm hugs and words of gratitude are exchanged, I can tell the entire situation still feels very unreal, especially to the newcomers. «I gotta say, when my mom said we were moving out here I was expecting something more like Surfin U.S.A or something like that» Daniel says turning to me. I sense a hint of disappointment in his voice, and I could definitely tell he wasn't enthusiastic about leaving New Jersey either. «Yeah well, hippies haven't been around since the 70s» I reply jokingly, nudging his shoulder. «But don't worry, it can be plenty of fun around here too, if you know the right people» I add, noticing my previous words didn't bring the reassurance I thought they would. «Yeah, I'm sure, but I don't really know anyone...», he mumbles as he looks around embarrassed, «I mean, you know me!» I grin, a scarce attempt at cheering him up. Learning my efforts weren't helpful, I put my hands on his shoulders and looked at him with hopeful eyes, «Look, there's a party at the beach tomorrow night; I will be there, my friends will be there, and we can all hang out», he looks up at me and meets my gaze, I can see his demeanor shift and I watch him turn out to be more relieved and somewhat excited. He thanks me for the invite but still looks unsure about something, «You don't have to worry, I'll pick you up, we'll drive there together» I speak, most likely reading his mind because my words seemed to wipe off all worries from his expression.

We said our goodbyes and our mothers agreed to see each other very soon. I walked back to the car and leaned on its side as I waited for my mom to catch up; I waved at Daniel one last time before crouching down to get in and watched him from the mirror as we sped off.

«You better keep an eye on Daniel, Y/n, especially at school» my mom's warning fills my ears, and I snap my head in her direction, frankly a bit offended by her words, «Jeez, what kind of person do you think I am, Mom?». She responds with a doubtful shrug but keeps her eyes on the road ahead of us. «Do you think I'll leave him all by himself? He's my friend and you should know I would never do that» I argue. Clearly taken aback by my words she lets out a sigh before speaking again, «That's not what I meant, Y/n», she replies, «Oh really! What did you mean then?», I lash out. «I meant that I know you have other friends that are very different from Daniel, but you shouldn't ignore him because of that». I look at her in disbelief and shake my head while chuckling hysterically, «I can't believe we're even discussing this right now», I add finally as we pulled into the driveway.

-

The following afternoon I spent it laying upside down on my couch, incessantly going between shuffling all the channels on my television or boringly going through the pages of the book I promised myself I would catch up on before the end of summer.

I started getting ready an hour before the time I was supposed to pick up Daniel. With a bit of sorrow inside my heart, I brushed my hair in front of the mirror, saddened that summer was practically over, and that tomorrow at this time, I would be sitting, not on the stool of my vanity, but on an overly uncomfortable chair at school, unbothered to listen to anything that my teacher has to say.

I slow down my car as soon as Danny appears on the sidewalk outside the South Seas apartments, an expression of incredulity on his face once he noticed it was me driving the car. «It's a nice ride you got there, Y/n!» he exclaims while inspecting the shiny white paint of my Alfa Romeo Spider. I smile proudly at the recent gift from my grandparents and place my sunglasses on top of my head before patting the seat next to me, signaling him to hop in. He swiftly jumps in without even opening the door, earning an amused laugh from me, «See, you already got those Cali ways!», I enthuse before taking off.

The bright and hot sunlight was shining on the beach which was populated by many teens enjoying themselves. I grabbed Daniel's hand and dragged him toward my friends who were waiting for us. After a brief round of introductions, I fell heavily on top of my towel, enjoying the feeling of the soft sand cuddling my back as I watched Daniel join the other boys for a soccer match.

I couldn't help but notice that Ali wouldn't take her eyes off Daniel since we had arrived, and in quality of self-assigned cupid, I worked my magic, «What's up Ali, you got the hots for Daniel?» I tease as I propped myself up on my elbows. Susan and Barbara giggled playfully and joined me in the teasing. Ali lightheartedly dismissed our coos, but I could see right through her, «You'd make a hot couple», I shrug pretending to be unbothered, «You think so?» she asked, her voice full of hope; «Oh, I know so», I replied in a lower tone, acting mysterious and alluring, which made us all erupt in loud laughter.

As the sun was setting and the air was getting chillier, Daniel was showing off his juggling skills to Ali and I peeked at them full of content that they've been hitting it off. The music softly filled our eardrums, as our faces were illuminated by the bonfire's orange light.

I, Susan, and Barbara all let out a squeal when Like a Virgin by Madonna came on, and I hurried my hands on the volume button to turn it up all the way. Without hesitation, I lifted myself onto my knees and started swaying energetically to the rhythm of the song, the other girls were bopping their heads to the melody and singing the words, although they were off-key. It was a moment of carefree joy that encapsulated the free-spirited nature of that instant. I guess you say the calm before the storm.

The loud music almost covered the sounds of the revving bike engines of the Cobra Kais, we all interrupted our fun and I shifted to turn the volume down once we saw them approaching us.

Johnny Lawrence was going off on Ali, and tension was rising in the air as his friends got closer to the scene. «Hey Y/n, why'd you stop dancing I was enjoying the show!» Bobby's voice chimes in from behind, and a few of the boys let out a snarky laugh, to which I respond with a disgusted and annoyed look.

My attention was brought back to Johnny and Ali when the stereo was violently tossed on the ground and saw Daniel getting closer. "Oh no", I mumbled, bracing for what was coming next. Although I knew it was gonna get ugly, I couldn't possibly step in and take over. «Bobby what are you doing standing there, do something!» I yell angrily in the boys' direction, but they all ignored my calling and instead kept on cheering on their friend, adding fuel to the fire.

We all watched as the boys got ready to fight, but I believe we all knew who was gonna cash this one. Johnny kicked Daniel, who fell flat on his back, groaning in pain. He shot himself up again and punched his face in the meantime, a gesture clearly not appreciated by Johnny who proceeded to finish him with a few more punches and kick.

Before they could take off, I pushed Johnny's back as soon as he was close enough, making him turn around and stare down at me. «You're such an asshole Lawrence!», I cried. He glared at me with a look that I can't quite describe, but after an instant, he just chuckled and brushed it off as he joined his pack toward their bikes.

As soon as it was over, I rushed to Danny's side and helped him up, holding him steady with my hands on his bloody and bruised face. «Oh, Danny...» I sighed sorrowfully and walked him to my car.