Two

The assembly hall was up ahead. Other students were already prying and storming their way in.

Before Isioma and I would have run up ahead to get a front row seat in the SS2 section, then we would begin to go through our notes or even out of boredom play X's and O's. We can't do that anymore.

The hall was rowdy; students moved up and down through the red hall in between the matching seats; looking for trouble, greeting friends and snuggling with their lovers. The SS3's had nonchalant looks on their faces and even took part in the rancour.

I ignored the whole scenario and moved into the middle section; reserved for the SS2 students and took my seat in front of the stage, bringing out my biology text book to read this time around. I had mastered the act of reading in the midst of noise so this was a no-brainer.

Soon enough, the Principal, Vice-Principals and the teaching and non-teaching staffs arrived and everywhere was almost peaceful. The heads took the centre stage.

National anthem and pledge read and sang. School Anthem sang. Principal addressed–An outgoing issue from last term was still being investigated. Interviews for new prefects were going to begin sooner than expected because SS3 would be too busy preparing for their MOCK, JAMB, NECO AND WAEC but they would still had control over the entire students for now. A loud whoop of cheers swept the room.

Principal Lawson drew her glasses forward and cleared her throat dramatically. I knew she was going to announce what I had been waiting to hear. " Students. As you are all aware, last term we lost two of our students: Habib Abdullahi and Isioma Orji from the SS2 commerce and science class respectively. " she read on. " It was truly a sad moment for our school. These students will forever be missed and we will like to remember them today; can we all get on our feet for a brief moment of silence. "

Everyone in the hall arose and after a while, we all heard " Thank you. " and proceeded back to a seat. I wanted it to be longer. I wanted to stand long enough for the tears to start setting in but come to think of it, I seemed to be the only one who knew Isioma on a personal level.

" My final announcement before we disperse. " Principal Lawson said, still at the podium. " SS2 students whose last term grade range falls on A's and B's should wait behind. "

For what?

Last term, I had surprised myself by having a straight A grade on all my subject, but I did not really eat into it because maybe it had nothing to do with the multiple midnight candles I had to burn–It had to be sheer luck.

" Thank you all and remember to remain studious and steadfast. " She added, finalizing the assembly. The hall cleared out and those with results that fell in the range were seated.

" Fill up the front seats. " The Vice Principal Academics Mrs. Osunde had taken over the podium, with the principal, vice principal administrative and most of the teachers gone. Only few teachers remained, sitting comfortably at the back, getting a wide overview of every where.

The students moved all together to the front some of them filling the empty seats next to me. All the members of The Prestige were here, seated behind me. No surprise. The Prestige members were students who had brains, beauty, class and family affluent. They were five in number; Isaac Lawson, Inioluwa Adewale, Tobi Balogun, Zarah Abdullahi and Phoebe Lawrence.

They were initially seven but Habib–Zarah's cousin jumped off the roof and died And Daniella Omodia was up to close with the male chemistry teacher.

Prestige basically ran the ins and outs of this school and it had a little help to do with the fact that Isaac was the grandson of the Principal who did not mind bending the rule a little when it came to matters concerning her favourite and only grandson.

" I hope all the students seated here are meant to be here. " Mrs. Osunde said, using her eyes to scan every student's face as if she knew the ones who were and weren't meant to be here.

" Yes ma. " A unified chorus answered.

" Good. " She nodded her head and stared at the paper in front of her. " I am indeed proud of all of you because as you all know the SS3 students will have to face their examinations with all seriousness and matters about the school will no longer be important to them at all and that is why we would like to pick few students that will take on the mantle of prefects from some of you. "

Prefects? I had no interest in being one. I was once the health prefect of my junior school and I found it very challenging; instructing fellow students was something I could not do.

She continued, ". . .You can refuse the position if you want. Prefectship is not a do or die affair. "

Pfft. It was optional.

A swarm of coordinated laughter followed.

" We do have a project that is compulsory for all of you to partake in, that will be discussed later on. And then the interview for all those who desire to continue and those who make the cut. Keeping all these aside, I want us to appreciate a few students who scaled through with perfect scores. " she held the paper up. " If you hear your name, kindly get up and remain standing. "

She cleared her throat. " Isaac Lawson. . .Inioluwa Adewale. . .Zarah Abdullahi. . .Kelvin Ayade. . .Jimoh Bello. . .and Chisom Nnaji. . ."

When my name came out of Mrs. Osunde's mouth, she pronounced it as Chim-Som but I knew it was my name. I got up and joined the other students, keeping my head low and hoping my heart stayed put in my chest. At every cost, I liked to feel invisible as possible, away from people and their judgmental stare.

Mrs. Osunde instructed the remaining students to clap and the lauding claps began to drain out my nervous thoughts and my fear. After a while, it was over.

" You may all return to your various classes."

♠♠♠

IFEOMA'S NOTE TO HER READERS.

Thank you all so much for reading.

What do you guys think about this chapter?

Vote and comment. ❤

♠♠♠