Chapter 54

Gilrack returned just as night was settling on the alien jungle. He had some seriously funked-up donkey slung over his shoulder. It had long-fingered paws instead of hooves, a nubby tail, and a too-small head.

I opened up the door to greet him but he waved me off, telling me to wait. He did, however, bring it to the front of the pod so I could watch what he was doing through the window, which was building a campfire. I was seriously impressed when he lit the dry gray kindling with his claw and a rock. Talk about serious evolution cheat.

Didn't have so much fun watching him gut and skin the thing, but my eyes did linger as the blood dripped into the fire. My mouth started to water, even though I had no idea what alien donkey tasted like. I'd spent months craving juicy meat and was actually okay with the idea that it tasted weird, as long as it was, well, juicy.

Gilrack didn't bother cooking his share. He ate it raw, then as my hunk sizzled on a stick over the fire he went off to wash himself off. By the time he returned he seemed satisfied with my half, which left it crispy on the outside and rare on the insides. He couldn't see me through the windshield due to the mirror-like coating on the outside to prevent ultraviolet radiation, but I did faintly feel his mind waves raised in question.

I didn't know whether it was good or not, to be honest. My cravings said 'yes, more blood the better.' My mind went 'the last thing I need is a space tapeworm, so cook it till it's black.'

So Gilrack ended up in the space pod with a rare, chunky steak on a stick. He made me wait until I could confirm that all the argon had been filtered out before taking off my helmet.

"That's not going to give me, like, parasites, is it?"

I expected him to give me a strange look, but he shook his head.

"Plant eater," he said. "Very clean meat."

That went farther than it should have in relieving me. After all, how would he know about parasites that could affect me and not him?

But the moment I took off my helmet, the smell of the meat hit me, and I swear I went half mad with want.

The next thing I knew the whole huge chunk was gone and I was looking down at my dirty hands in horror. I'd never eaten anything so bloody and good in my life. I felt like an animal.

Gilrack must have felt some of my trepidation, for he started petting my head.

"Good. Good." He muttered. The air hummed with his deep relief and satisfaction.

"Are you full?"

"I am full."

But he hadn't eaten nearly as much as I thought he should. "Are you done hunting?"

"I will not leave you at night," he said, quite sternly.

"So that's a no?"

"I am done."

"But you were offended that I would imply you leaving to hunt at night?"

"...Yes."

"Good. Nice to see our communication is leveling up. All healthy relationships need good communication, you hear?"

I felt a much deeper meaning when he said, his thoughts full of emphatic thickness, "Yes."

But since I'm a modern gal, I cleaned up with wet wipes rather than the nearby river. I was already halfway asleep by the time I was finished. A full belly of prime steak did that.

Gilrack had already somehow made a nest out of all the blankets and opened his arms to me.

I woke up looking at the underside of Gilrack's wing lit up by the morning sun.