Chapter 7: Deadly Ritual

*few hours since last chapter.*

The group has finally arrived back at Fort Graken as the sky is beginning to turn orange as it's now evening. Erik takes note of the soldiers and Wolves frantically moving about as if they're preparing for battle.

"Bailey what's going on?" Myra asks earning Bailey's attention.

"Our scouts reported a large Hell Spawn force headed right for us, I'll meet you and the recruits inside." Bailey says leaving with one of the human Wolves.

"A large force? Are we gonna be expected to fight in the front lines?" Jenkins asks not sure how to feel.

Myra is silent for moment and turns to the recruits.

"No, but let's focus on the ritual for now." Myra says leading the recruits inside Fort Graken where a lot of the walls are missing or broken.

Erik and the recruits stand in this torn up room with the orange light shining in. Erik looks at the opening with Fae'delar asking Myra if they can hear about the ritual now.

"The ritual is dangerous, some of you may not survive but should you? You'll gain a variety of benefits, mostly physical but the big one? You're technically immortal in the sense that you can't die to old age." Myra says casually.

All the recruits look in shock while tilting their heads.

"Wow... No surprise that this is a secret, everyone would be lining up to become Wolves and not for the right reasons." Durgon says.

Myra nods though Henry Venellix the mage from earlier arrives with multiple goblets as he sets these on the table with Myra giving him the ingredients.

"Any advice?" Erik asks Myra who turns to him.

"There's really nothing to it, you'd just have to hope your will is strong enough to overcome the blood." Myra replies not sugarcoating it.

Erik sighs but nods understanding seeing Henry using his magic to mix the ingredients together. Once he's done, he pours finished product into the goblets one by one.

Bailey arrives with Zaiken and Rennirel in tow.

"Is the ritual ready?" Bailey directs to Henry earning a nod. "We speak few words during the ritual, but they are necessary out of tradition."

Erik looks amongst his fellow recruits with Rennirel clearing his throat.

"Brothers and sisters, future and past, you might be afraid of what comes next with the uncertainty but know that you will never be alone weather that be in life or death. For years to come, your sacrifice will be honored and remembered like us." Rennirel quotes as Erik and the others feel uncertain.

"Those were the words of Sae'dellin Yonvar, King of Yeriyen in the first successful ritual... Sir Jenkins step forward." Bailey says grabbing one of goblets.

Jenkins exchange glances with his fellow recruits but steps forward having the goblet placed into his hands.

"Well... Moment of truth." Jenkins says optimistically as he downs most of goblet.

Jenkins feels great at first feeling stronger, and his senses overload. This sensation ends with a sudden overwhelming pain unlike anything he's ever felt. He touches both sides of his head hearing multiple voices and growls with his veins bulging and skin turning reptilian like.

Myra looks away knowing what's next. Jenkins' eyes turn demonic red and his nails sharpen as he roars out but is abruptly decapitated by Bailey.

"I'm sorry sir Jenkins." Bailey says regretfully as Erik, Fae'delar and Durgon look in surprise seeing a blood puddle being formed from headless body of Jenkins.