late night talks

We start off by just sitting on the edge of the pool with our feet dangling in the water.

Conrad pulls a joint out of his pocket.

"You smoke now?" I ask.

"You don't?" Conrad laughs. I used to smoke pot all the time.

"I quit, you know that Connie." I say. "What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"You smoke now, you quit football, everyone's saying you didn't smile for a long time and you were just always depressed, you lost so much weight, i'm worried about you." I sigh.

"Look I don't know okay?" Conrad scoffs. "I just don't know what's going on."

"You can talk to me you know." I say.

"I know, but you'll just worry." He smiles.

"I'd rather worry about what's happening to you rather than worrying about not knowing what's wrong." I say.

"Val, no matter what's happening to me you will always be the one person that makes everything a little bit more bearable, and I know you want to fix everything but you just being here is fixing more than you would know." Conrad says as I smile.

"Well even if I can't fix as much as I want to, one thing i'm gonna fix is making sure you don't do what I used to." I say as I grab the joint from his hand and throw it away. "Now tell me why you started smoking."

"Helped me not think about the guilt." He says.

"From what?" I ask.

"Quitting football." He sighs. "It burned me out so much."

"You don't owe the sport anything, people grow and change, it's okay to leave it behind Connie." I say. "I remember when I quit wrestling, I felt so much guilt but then I realized that I can leave stuff in the past, so that's what I did with all sports and pot."

"Why are you always right Val." Conrad laughs. "Enough of this shit, let's swim!"

He throws me into the pool and I go down with a shriek.

After an hour of swimming we both go shower and change, and when I come out Conrad is standing above the staircase listening to some commotion downstairs.

"What's happening?" I whisper.

"Jer, Bels, and Steven got waisted and the cops found out." Conrad sighs. "My mom's asleep so your mom is yelling at everyone."

"Oh." I yawn.

Conrad looks down at me and smiles. Our height difference has always been very noticeable. With him being six foot-two, and me being five foot-one.

"You need to go to bed." Conrad laughs as he guides me to my room.

"What if something happens with them?" I ask. "What if one of them gets hurt?"

"I'll make sure everything is okay, you just go to bed Vee." Conrad says softly.

We go into my room, and he closes the door behind us.

I sit on my bed and put my head in my hands, and Conrad sits next to me with a hand on my back.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"I snuck my fifteen year old sister to a party then left who then got drunk and got caught by the cops, it's my fault." I sigh.

"Vee it's not your fault, teens are dumb, you just need to go to sleep." Conrad says as he guides me to the middle of my bed, where I lay under the covers as he stays on the edge of my bed.

"Night Connie." I smile tiredly.

"Goodnight Vee." He smiles as he brushes my hair behind my ear, before leaving my room.

Conrad POV

I sigh as I leave Val's room. I need to talk to Belly.

I got to Belly's room, to find her pretty sobered up.

"Bels you scared the shit out of your sister." I sigh.

"Why?" She asks.

"She trusted you at the party, she didn't think you'd get drunk. Now she thinks it's her fault!" I say angrily.

"Why do you care so much Conrad?" Belly says, her voice raising.

"Don't yell, you'll wake Valarie." I say.

"It's always Valarie! Why do you only care about her?" Belly scoffs.

"Because out of everyone I know she matters the most to me!" I groan.

"Do you like her or something?" Belly's scoffs.

"I..." I hesitate. "I don't know."