005

Written in Stardust
☾ chapter five ☽
𓆩 The Claw of Death 𓆪

Written in Stardust ☾ chapter five ☽𓆩 The Claw of Death 𓆪

☾ 𓆩♡𓆪 ☽

Tears pooled in the boys' eyes, knowing that their friend couldn't be saved. With the distance they needed to cover until they reached the mountains, they knew that the boy was already in the claws of death, it would only be a matter of time before he would be taken.

Lovette stepped forwards, taking the gun from a dark skinned boy with short black hair and a crestfallen look on his face. The girl looked at the boy in front of her, a layer of sand was covering his tired body and his mouth was slightly open, taking shallow and uneven breaths. His hair was a mess , not having been washed for days. His curls clung to his forehead and his hands were on his stomach, trying to take away the pain he felt until it was over.

''What the hell.'' Lovette heard one of the boys mutter from behind her. His voice was laced with confusion and hesitation and the girl questioned for a second if she should give the weapon to the boy who was fading fast. But when she looked at him, she knew. She knew that they didn't have a choice and he knew that too. The look in his eyes told Lovette something, it was a sign for help, for freedom. And there was only one way to give that to him.

So the girl moved towards the boy until she stood directly next to him. She switched the gun in her grasp from one hand to another while crouching down, her elbows rested on her knees. Lovette's free hand grabbed the boy's. His hand was calloused, making the girl wonder where they came from or what he did before the scorch. She placed the weapon on his palm and his hand wrapped around the gun. The boy gave the girl a grateful look, a small smile evident on his face.

''Thank you.'' The boy exclaimed, his cheeks glinstering with fresh tears. It were only two simple words, but the boy and girl both knew they had two meanings. A thank you for giving the boy the weapon, his helping hand to freedom, seeing that the flare made him weaker and more vulnerable for the heat of the scorch and possible cranks. The two words the boy had spoken were also a sign of appreciation. A sign of appreciation that none of the other boys needed to give him the helping hand he wanted and desperately needed.

''I owe you one now, don't I?'' The boy whispered, the question should have given Lovette a feeling of power, but it didn't. It didn't give her that feeling, because she knew it was an empty promise. But the friendly grin which was visible on the boy's dirty face also made a grin appear on her face, her head tilting slightly while doing so. Making the change of expression known to the boy.

''I guess so.'' The girl's sentence faltered, silently asking him a question. A question which was supposed to be the first one someone should ask when meeting someone, not a question someone should ask right before the other person's last moment.

''Winston. My name's Winston.'' The boy mumbled, his head moved forwards slightly before he threw it backwards, coughing up more blood. The blood was a dark red colour, but almost looked black with a glinstering glow.

''Now get out of here.'' The boy muttered, his voice strained  and seemingly stuck in his throath. Lovette then noticed what he was doing, he was trying to get the group away from him. He didn't want to die. He wanted to protect them, he wanted to protect them from this virus. From him, he wanted to keep them safe by sacrificing himself.

The girl saw a boy walking towards them. The boy had dirty blond hair and looked around the same age as Winston. He had pale skin as a frown was nestled in between his eyebrows. He had a tall and muscular build, but he wasn't buff. He had soft brown eyes in which there was a dull light shining. It looked like he had two small lightbulbs inside his eyes, but they were turned off, dead, non existent.

''Goodbye Winston.'' The blonde haired boy whispered. The farewell was so quiet that only Winston and Lovette could hear it, but the girl was the only one who took note of the slight crack in the brown eyed boy's voice. The boy and girl stood up and walked away from the boy who was already on his death bed. The boy slung his bag over his shoulder and walked out from under the slab of stone, but Lovette stayed in the shadow.

An Asian boy walked towards Winston with the dark skinned boy at his side. They crouched down next to him, but no words came out of their mouths. The dying boy mouthed a reassurence to them, although it could have been whispered, only loud enough for the two boys at Winston's side to hear.

Both of them stood up at the same time and almost jogged away, not wanting to see their friend in this state any longer.

''It's okay.'' Winston mumbled, looking at the boy besides Lovette. The girl only noticed now that everyone had walked away from the dying boy except her and the boy next to her. The boy had short brown hair and coffee brown eyes which were full of tears. His lips were tightly held together, preventing a sob from coming out of his mouth.

''I'm sorry.'' The words came out almost soundless, Lovette knew that Winston couldn't have heard them. But she did, and as she looked at the broken boy, she knew that they had lost more people. More friends, more brothers.

But death would bring them back to the stars, and they would dissolve back into stardust, following them until their end. Following them until they were safe. Following them until they were living, not surviving.