007

Written in Stardust
☾ chapter seven ☽
𓆩 Broken and Bruised 𓆪

Written in Stardust ☾ chapter seven ☽𓆩 Broken and Bruised 𓆪

☾ 𓆩♡𓆪 ☽

The blond and brown haired couple stood up and walked towards the rest of their group. They all stood with each other in silence. The silence wasn't comfortable nor uncomfortable, it was a deathly silence. They all stood there, grieving the friend they just had to leave behind. It was too quiet, that some of the gladers swore they had already heard the fatal gunshot. But Newt could only hope for one thing, that this wasn't a silence which spoke many words at the same time. He hoped that this wasn't a silence where the word 'goodbye' could be heard being whispered in the wind.

Newt's vision was fixated on a stone in the sand. His vision was blurred, but he refused to let the tears fall. His jaw was clensed and one of his hands was tugging on his hair, almost pulling the strands out. The accented boy tried to describe the stone in his head. The stone was a smooth oval shape and had different colours of red and yellow. The stone reminded him of the scorch and the different colours of sand which displayed itself in the beautiful but broken landscape.

The boys heard a sob come from one of them, but the only one who bothered to look up was Newt. The blond's head looked around, trying to find out who the sob came from. The boy didn't need to look long before he heard another one. After the third sob, Newt walked towards him. The accented boy embraced the boy and pulled him up softly, but still held him up in his arms. The boy in his arm cried softly on his shoulder. Newt could feel the sadness the dark haired boy felt and wanted to take it all away, he wanted to make the innocent boy feel happy again.

''I failed him.'' The boy in Newt's arms whispered softly, his arms now also wrapping tightly around the blond boy. His body shook with sobs and the accented boy swore he could feel his heart cracking in his chest, even more than it already was. The boy who was always happy was now falling apart, everyone was. Even he was, but he couldn't show it to them, they needed someone to be strong for them. And he was the only person who was capable to do that.

''No, you didn't fail him. No one failed him, not even wicked did. Because he probably had a reason to die, he probably had a reason to go through that door before you did, or Minho did, or Thomas did. He was destined to die, but he will always be with you. And even with that, you still had a chance to say goodbye. And how lucky were you to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?'' Newt talked slowly, meaning every word he said. The only reason he wasn't loosing his mind was because of those thoughts. Jeff had a reason to die, to safe Minho. If Jeff hadn't sacrificed himself, Minho wouldn't be alive and they would have never escaped the maze.

Alby also had a reason to die, if Alby hadn't chopped off the griever's arm, Chuck would have died at that moment. Although the sacrifice of their leader seemed to have been for nothing, seeing that the youngest glader died only a day later.

''It's true what Newt said, don't blame yourself.'' Teresa said, her voice sad and the others could hear the frown which was displayed on her face. The girl didn't knew what to think, it had all gone so fast. She could feel the tears brimming in her eyes, asking to be let out. But she also felt numb, like something had happened but she couldn't feel it.

''This is really depressing you know, that's isn't my vibe.'' Minho all of a sudden blurted out, his hand slapped over his mouth and his eyebrows raised in shock. His sarcastic comments normally made everyone groan, Chuck being the only one who laughed at them. The name of the young boy which popped up in Minho's mind made the black haired boy tear up until he heard a few soft giggles.

''Can't shut your bloody mouth for a second, can you Minho?'' Newt taunted, a smirk plastered on his face. Minho's face was full of shock while he tried to explain himself, which he did a poor job at, until the boy in the accented boy's arms spoke up.

''Of course he can't, it's Minho.'' The few simple words made everyone burst out in soft chuckles. The boy lifted his shoulder from Newt's shoulder, revealing the cook. Frypan still had a few tears streaming down his face, but the kind smile on his face which revealed the dimples he had made everyone forget what had happened for a few seconds.

Thomas cleared his throat before speaking. ''I'm sorry to interrupt-'' The boy began, his voice was slightly shaking and croaky, but a strong tone was laced in it. A tone which Minho quite obviously didn't hear before interrupting the brown haired boy.

''You should be.'' Minho harshly spoke, a serious look on his face. His jaw was clenched and he had balled his hands into fists. Heavy breaths came out through the Asian boy's nose and for a moment, Thomas' eyes widened. The brown haired boy stood his ground, but his shaking hands and confused eyes betrayed him.

But before any of them could say anything, the black haired boy burst out laughing. And no more then a few seconds later, the others had joined him, everyone except Thomas.

Minho tried to splutter out a sentence, but no one understood anything what came out of his mouth, making them only laugh harder. Frypan had collapsed back into Newt's arms, trying to hold himself up. Thomas tried to come in between the laughing boys, but it was a failed attempt.

The louder the boys laughed, the more irritated Thomas became. He wanted them to be silent, their laughs should make him happy. But it only made him angry. How could they be laughing at this moment? Shouldn't they be grieving? Or crying?

''SHUT YOUR MOUTHS AND LISTEN TO ME.'' Thomas sobbed, his sudden loud outburst shut all the boys up, making them look at him with wide eyes. The brown haired boy looked at them and suddenly felt guilty, they were having fun after days of sharing a laugh, and now he had ruining it. Thomas felt his knees weaken before he felt his knees his the sand. The air around him was deathly silent, but the boy didn't knew if that was what he wanted.

A few apologies stumbled out of his mouth, a few sobs unable to be hidden. The gladers looked at him in shock. They didn't understand what was happening, weren't they just laughing a few moments ago.

Newt was the only one who knew. The blond haired boy knew why Thomas reacted this way, because subconsiously, they all had. Experiencing the death of another person could affect someone more than they would want it to, and they had all had their breaking point. Newt had his breaking point too, and the one who helped him out of it was his best friend. The accented boy knew that if Minho hadn't gave him the helping hand he so desperatly needed, he wouldn't be alive right now.

But right at the moment that Newt wanted to crawl forwards to embrace the broken boy, a shadow which casted over the brown haired boy stopped him. And the other seemed to notice it too.