Calotes - Baryonyx Reference Sheet

This is the first piece in my second art book, so I hope you all like it! I do hope that all my wonderful viewers from my first book are still with me on this tour through my art journey!

It was exhausting to draw, especially all those details I forced myself into doing, but it was still so fun!

Baryonyx is my favourite carnivorous dinosaur - I just adore how they look! I wrote a whole overview about them, which I'll include at the end

Baryonyx is my favourite carnivorous dinosaur - I just adore how they look! I wrote a whole overview about them, which I'll include at the end. ^^ I'm planning on doing something similar to a bunch of dinosaurs - mainly my favourites, but also a lot from the Barremian.

But anyway, the design is inspired by calotes lizards (hence his name), but I still made it by myself, so no copying.

I put some little fun facts into the ref sheet, because I think it helps create a nice character for him. I'm still experimenting with styles for dinosaurs and dragons, as well as for reference sheet layouts. But I'm liking how this one looks. What do you guys think?

And what do my fellow dinosaurs fans think of Calotes? Do feel free to share your dinosaur opinions on him - as long as you're polite, I'd love to hear from you!

Notes for myself and the audience (skip if you don't want to read a bunch):

• I made the crest a bit bigger than what is seen on an average skull, since I like to imagine they have a decent covering of keratin on them. I honestly love the image of two rival males sparring, showing off their crests and claws to impress a female.

• The odd shape of his back is not me lacking the ability to draw a decent-looking back - it's actually anatomically accurate! A lot of spinosaurs had, you guessed it, extensions along their spines. These formed sails in some species (like Spinosaurus and Oxalaia), and humps in other species (like in Baryonyx and Suchomimus), or sometimes somewhere in between (like in Ichthyovenator).

• I took some artistic liberties and added a few fantasy elements, but nothing so big as to ruin the dinosaur aura of Calotes. Hopefully. ^^' Becasue of this, please don't tell me off that he likes collecting feathers and has a favourite fish to eat. There are plenty of creatures nowadays that may have equal or lower intelligence than dinosaurs who do things like this. Please let me do some characterisation in peace. :]

Anywho...

Here's a closeup of his head. I think I did fairly alright with the paleo-accuracy to what a Baryonyx should look like.