2 - Strange creatures

Y/n's POV:

It was 3:07 in the afternoon and I'm just about to get off work. I yawn tiredly and look at my phone. 'Huh...that's strange.'

Normally Ava would text me throughout the day and especially since she was supposed to go to her job interview. She would at least text if she got it or not. That girl better not have overslept and missed her damn job interview.

'If THAT is the reason she didn't text me to try to avoid my wrath then she has another thing coming.' I sighed as I let a hand run through my loose hair. I try not to think of bad reasons for her missing something, or try to think that they got her.

'No, no they couldn't, it's broad daylight, and I told her to never let a stranger into the apartment. She always listens to me right?' I have to shake off those thoughts, I look at the time to see it's 3:16 and start to head back to the apartment, a bit quicker this time in case something did happen.

I teach Japanese history, culture, and language as a middle school teacher. 'Three in one special am I right?' The school isn't far from the apartment complex so I walk there every day.

And at night I'm a demon slayer. There aren't as many demons as in the Taishō era; there are still many man-eating demons. And they're even more powerful than the ones during the Taishō era.

The demon slayer corps still exists as well, along with the hashira, me being one of them. I'm not as powerful as the other hashira but I'm still as capable as any other slayer. I can decapitate demon's heads but only the low-ranked ones meaning upper and lower ranks I can't decapitate.

I love and adore every one of my comrades in the corps, but I try not to get attached to them. I'm not good at handling someone I care about dying, especially a loved one or family member. It's not pretty how I grieve.

I walk up to the front of the apartment complex. A wave of a feeling hits me and my heart speeds up as my eyes widen. 'Ava...oh no.'

I look up to see our floor on the building and the window being open, I look around to see if anyone will notice. 'Good, all clear.'

I slowly take a deep breath and jump to the open window, happy I decided to wear my ancestors' butterfly hidori. I swiftly flutter in the open window like a butterfly. I softly and quietly land in the apartment.

I look over to the couch and see Ava calmly sleeping on it in her casual clothes

I look over to the couch and see Ava calmly sleeping on it in her casual clothes. I can hear her soft breathing as well as other male voices and one screaming? 'What the hell is that!?'

I hide behind the couch so as to not be seen. I close my eyes and try to listen for movement to assume where they were in the apartment. I heard movement in Ava's room, two of them maybe, most likely two in the bathroom, and finally, the one screaming just outside my room and the bathroom, making five in total.

I slowly try to shake Ava awake to try and get her out. I have to think of a way first, she's too afraid of heights and there are probably more people now from school being out so that's out of the question. We could try to sneak out the front door but the one screaming would definitely see us and alert the others.