In the Wake

Gemma's POV

I watched on with relief as a sea of lights surrounds my niece and I. Cady gives me a comforting smile as we embrace each other.

"Ma'am, I'm Chief Cartwright. Are you two alright?" One of the officers asks.

"I think so. Thanks to Aunt Gemma." Cady says.

"Yes, I am now as well." The officer nods and instructs his colleagues to return to their patrols. Cole and Tess sprint up to me from the cruiser they were sitting in.

"Gem, thank god you're okay. I'm so sorry, I should've listened to you about Megan." Tess says.

"It's okay, you couldn't have known what was going to happen. We were all misled by her." I say.

"Uh, Gem. So there's something else you should know", Cole pauses after butting in, "David and Kurt are dead. It looks like Kurt murdered David, but I think we all know who's behind it." He says

"Oh no. That's not good."

"Yeah." Cole agrees.

"Ms. Davis, I'm going to ask you to get some rest for tonight. I need to speak with you and your niece in my office first thing in the morning." Chief Cartwright says.

"Of course. We'll be there." I say. He nods and returns to his car to wait for my colleagues and friends.

"I think we'd better leave as well. You two have had a long night and have a lot to talk about. Goodnight Gem and good night Cady." My best friend says dragging Cole behind her.

"Thanks Tess, Goodnight."

"Good night." Cady echoes as we both wave. Once they're both out of sight, I take Cady's hands and lead her in doors. She takes a seat at the dining room table while I prepare each of us a glass of warm milk.

"Thanks, Aunt Gemma."

"You're welcome Cady. How are you holding up?" I ask as I sit in the chair next to her.

"I'm okay. I feel bad that Megan hurt all these people and I neglected to see it because I was too attached to her." She says. I place my hand on top of hers.

"Hey, don't feel bad. It wasn't your fault and it certainly isn't on you to watch over her. I should have been there, just like I should've been here more for you. I fundamentally failed you as a parent, and for that I'm sorry." I say, looking in to her blue eyes.

"Thanks Aunt Gemma. I should have listened more to you too instead of always giving my attention to Megan. I didn't make it easy on you either."

"I guess we both learned something then. I promise I'm going to do everything I can to help and care for you." I say.

"I'm going to be better too." Cady states. I nod as we share a hug.

"Alright, it's time for bed now." I say. My niece finishes her milk and I walk her to her room. After tucking her in, she looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Aren't you going to read me a bed time story?" I smile.

"Of course. Once upon a time, there was a young girl who lived a pretty decent life. She had toys, and a family who loved and cared for her. One day, that was taken away from her in one swift swoop. And all she had left was this strange woman and an unfamiliar house. The girl tried to make the best of the situation, but was having a difficult time adjusting. That's when the woman showed the girl something special, a life sized toy robot. The girl loved the robot so much, she wanted one of her own. And so, one she got. The girl bonded with the robot day after day and night after night, it being the friend she never had and always wanted. Over time, they became inseparable. The woman was at first ecstatic seeing how happy the little girl was, but then grew concerned as the toy robot had begun to consume her life and had stymied her growth. The woman understood that the girl needed a human friend to trust and interact with. She resolved to make improvements and decommissioned the robot, instead filling the void in the girl's life herself. She strived to become a better person and over time the two became a family. A family that lived happily together for many years to come."