The Two of Us

I'm frozen in fear. Should I move, or should I not? I lock eyes with Sheva and she vigorously shakes her head. A split second later, Elsie comes to life.

"Over here!" She calls. I hear footsteps stomping toward the other end of the living room. My breathing begins to slow. It doesn't take long for him to realize he has been fooled by Elsie. Before he can walk back over, M3gan pulls out another trick from her bag using the Smart TV. It blares to life, temporarily diverting his attention from us.

"Where do you think you're going?" She asks via the TV.

"Who the f*** are you?" He asks.

"Your worst fear." M3gan says menacingly as the sound of police sirens start to blare around us. The mystery man doesn't move.

"This'd be the part where you run." She says.

"Good try, but you're not real."

"On the contrary, I'm actually quite real." At that moment several police officers burst through my front door.

"SEATTLE POLICE! DROP YOUR WEAPON! HANDS UP WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!" One of them yells. The man growls, but does surrender without a fight. After he is handcuffed, the three of us exit our hiding place to see this man.

"There you are! Recognize me?" He yells.

"No, do I know you?" I ask with Cady next to me.

"You and that brat of a little girl sure knew my son. And I know that because you killed him. You killed him and made my ex wife take her own life!" He says and the pieces fall in to place.

"Brandon, and Holly. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I understand what you're feeling and so does my niece. We have had our fair share of losses too including my sister and her parents. Hurting others will never bring them back." I say.

"You're right about never bringing them back. But it would get rid of another danger to the public." At this point the police lead him away.

"Ma'am, I'm Taylor and this is my partner, Sabrina. Are any of you hurt?" One of the two remaining officers asks.

"No, we're alright. Thank you."

"Oh that's good to hear. Given the nature of this crime, I'd like to ask for yourself and your friend to provide us with a written statement detailing what happened from your point of view." Taylor states.

"Of course, we can do that."

"Perfect, thank you. I will also inform you that a few officers from our forensics unit will come and collect evidence around your property."

"Okay, that's fine."

"Great, we'll be out of your hair shortly." Taylor says and walks off with his partner. It takes them just a few hours to complete their duties and allowed us to also finish our statements. Once the police had left my house, we convene on the couch.

"Well that was interesting. Are we all okay?" I ask, now that we had all calmed down.

"I'm okay. Are we safe?" Cady asks in a small voice that broke my heart. I bring her in for a hug.

"Yes Cady. We'll always be safe when we're together." I say.

"She's right Cady. Nothing's stronger than family. Though I think I'm going to head home for the night." Sheva says.

"Alright, thank you for everything today." I say, giving her a small hug that she reciprocated.

"Happy to help. See you tomorrow?"

"Yes, definitely. It'll have to be later on in the day though. We're going to be busy in the morning."

"Looking forward to seeing you two tomorrow. Just let me know when." Sheva says, waving at Cady who waves back.