Her

Cady's POV

The next morning, I awake to sunlight shining directly on to my face. The clock on my nightstand read 8:45. I slowly get out of bed and across the hall in to the bathroom. After freshening up, I walk in to the kitchen to see Tess making breakfast.

"Morning Cady. Sleep well?" I shrug my shoulders.

"That's good. Sorry I'm not the best cook in the world. Here are some scrambled eggs and pancakes though." She says handing me a plate.

"Thank you." I say before going to the dining table. Tess follows suit and sits across from me.

"So, the police station gave me a call this morning. Gemma is free to go for now, until her trial in one week. We're gonna meet her there in about an hour, okay?"

"Okay. Am I going to stay with her until then?"

"Yes. That's the plan." I nod and pack everything back in to my suitcase after finishing breakfast. Tess helps me carry it to her car and then turns to face me.

"We've still got a little time to kill, is there anything you'd like to do?"

"Could we play something?" I asks.

"How about we do a puzzle? I think I have one from when I was your age." She suggests.

"Sure, that sounds fun." The puzzle when completed at the end of the hour turned out to be a photo of two kittens. With everything put away, we set out on our way to police station. Aunt Gemma was waiting in the lobby for us when we arrived. She immediately runs up to me and we share a big hug.

"Hey, how was your night with Tess?"

"It was okay."

"That's good to hear. So, I've spoke with my lawyers and we're going to go court. I'm sure Tess has told you that, but the next part I wanted to tell you myself. Your grandparents have asked for custody of you give the recent events. I'm going to let you decide who you want to stay with." Gemma says, smiling softly at me. I had my answer without even thinking. I wasn't particularly close with my grandparents as I didn't see them much and my mother trusted Aunt Gemma.

"You, Aunt Gemma."

"Okay, great. It's not a guarantee, but we'll have to go court to get them to allow you to stay with me." She explains.

"We can do this Aunt Gemma."

"I hope so." She says solemnly.

Gemma's POV

I sigh, looking at this child's determined expression in front of me.

"Gem, let's get you and Cady home. You two
have some important stuff catch up on." Tess says, handing me my keys. I place Cady's suitcase in my car and motion for her to get in.

"Good idea, thanks Tess." When we get home, I quickly take a much needed shower and then join Cady on the living room sofa. I feel her lean her head against my shoulder.

"Cady, I'm really proud of how far you've come. I know it hasn't been easy, especially these last few days. But I have to tell you that it's going to be harder still because there are still hurdles to go through. I'll be next to you each and every step of the way." I say.

"I know. I understand that even though you created Megan, and left me alone with her, you only wanted the best for me. You cared about me and you did what you thought was going to help me cope."

"But I was wrong. Brushing you off when you were hurting when you needed me the most was the worst thing I could've done. And I'm sorry I did that."

"It's okay, you're here now."