Desicions and Consequences

JJ wakes up and immediately notices the absence next to her. Emily isn't there. She sits up groggily and glances around the hotel room but doesn't see her. Finally she is able to pull herself out from under the warm covers and get up. On the table is a note.

It reads: Hey Jayje, you haven't really eaten much today so I just headed out really quick to grab some Chinese, I know it's your favorite. Also I washed your clothes since they had some dirt on them. There's coffee in the pot. And don't forget to pack, we have to leave early tomorrow. I booked us a flight.

JJ pours herself a cup of coffee and goes to look out the window. It is only about 10 so there was plenty of time to waste. She found herself missing Emily more than she thought she would. She counted the minutes on the clock. After about 15, the door finally opened.

Emily walks in bringing with her the scent of Chinese food and cold air. She is wearing her black leather coat and JJ can't help but smile. She loves it when Emily wears that coat since JJ was the one who bought it for her.

Emily sets the bags on the table and removes the coat. Underneath she is wearing a cream sweater and a tight pair of blue jeans.

"Oh, hey you're up! You were fast asleep when I left so I didn't know what state you'd be in. I got you dumplings!" She starts to unpack the food and set it out. JJ slowly makes her way to table before finally sitting down across from Emily.

"I didn't know Chinese was a breakfast food," JJ jokes. Emily smiles.

"Chinese food is an all day food, and your lucky I found a restaurant that is open so early. How many dumplings do you want?" She asks spooning them onto JJ's plate.

The two eat mostly in silence. Occasionally one of them would bring up something, usually an old anecdote of case but a heavy feeling hung in the air.

"Hey Jayje, I want to talk to you about something," Emily finally says very slowly after they are both finished eating. JJ nods, a sign to continue. "Look, I really like being your friend, you're an amazing person and I really care about you but..." she pauses and JJ nudges her along, "I don't think I can pretend that what happened yesterday meant nothing. I mean I know we were both drunk and stuff but...I just, I don't know. Are you sure you felt nothing."

JJ can barely meet Emily's eyes. "Em," she says cautiously, "look feelings aside," Emily's eyes light up for a second, "I have to think about myself, and my family. I have Will. I can't forget about that. I'm not a cheater. I just can't do that to them. I like you, more than I probably should but I made a promise when I said I do."

Emily feels tears welling in her eyes. She tries to blink them away before JJ could notice but it was too late. JJ crosses to the other side of the table and wraps Emily in a warm hug.

"If the timing was different...or something," JJ begins but Emily motions for her to stop.

"Tell me one thing JJ." Emily says suddenly serious.

"Anything," JJ replies nervously.

"If I kissed you right now, would you pull away?"

     Silence.