Chapter 4

"Alright everyone don't forget, the last day to turn in your signed permission slip and money is tomorrow, so if you have yet to do that I implore you to make it a priority, there will be no exceptions if it's late" The head teacher of the senior class, Mr. Overton says as the bell rings.
     Our senior trip is next week. I obviously am the kind of person that I turned in my money and permission slip ages ago. As I made my way out I really should have been paying more attention to my surroundings, "oh shit sorry" I say as I bump into someone. I looked up to see who it was, and of course, Adam, Sam's new boyfriend. "Hey no worries" he says with a smile, god it would be so much easier to hate him if he was a dick, why does he have to be so nice. "You should really watch where you're going" she says, taking his hand in hers, "again, I'm sorry" I say squeezing by them, just trying to get away from her as soon as possible.
     It's been about 4 months since we broke up, I pretty much just stopped crying last week. At first I tried to be nice, seeing if she was okay, but every time she just blew me off, which I mean I understood. But once she started dating Adam last month she's really gone out of her way to be a bitch to me, making sly comments when I'm around, or making my job as class president so much fucking harder. Whatever though, there's only three more months of school then I never have to think about her again.
     I still haven't decided where I'm going to college, I've got offers to play from almost every D1 school in the country so I don't know why it's taking me so long to decide. I think a part of me, is hoping that Sam will confess her love for me and tell the whole world that we're together, so I don't want to commit to a school in case that happens, but the deadline is getting closer and closer so I'm really going to have to let that fantasy of mine go.

The last week of school :
     "Do you have everything?" my mom asked for the hundredth time as I got my suitcase out from the trunk, "yes mom, you made sure of that" I laugh at her paranoid mom tone, "I know, I know. Have fun sweetheart, I love you" "I love you too mom" I give her a kiss on the cheek, "but I really do have to go, or the bus is going to leave without me" I say as she pulls me in for one final hug before letting me go and give me a small push to the bus.
     I sit in the back of the bus, next to one of my friends Caty. The trip to LAX is only about an hour, too short for me to really get any sleep, so I just pop my AirPods in and rest my head on the window, watching the ocean go further and further away. You would think that kids who live right next to the beach wouldn't want to go to Hawaii for their senior trip, but it's what they voted on, so okay I guess.
     The flight was fine, I was able to sleep for a couple of hours, watched a couple of movies, and just tried to pass the time. When we landed we all crammed our way into a couple sprinter vans, taking us to the hotel.
     Everyone was sitting in the lobby waiting to get our room assignments, I have no idea how they picked who shared a room, it wasn't alphabetical order, or who wanted to room with who, I guess they just pulled names out of a hat, I have no idea.
     I was messing around on my phone until I heard my name get called, "Mackenzie Roberts, room 305" Mr. Overton said, handing me a key.
     I made my way up to room 305, ready to take a shower and go to sleep, even though it was only six here it was midnight back home. As soon as I open the door, a once comforting smell takes over me. At one point in my life I would do anything for that scent, but now, I'll do anything to get away from it.
     She comes out from around the corner and just stares at me, "you've gotta be fucking kidding me" we both say at the same time. "Fuck this" she mutters pushing past me, "and where exactly are you going" I ask, "to change rooms idiot" she spits as she leaves.
     I debated going after her but I decided it's probably for the best if we don't share a room for the next week. I let the hot water rain down on me, trying to clear my mind, but it's no use, I can't help but remember what happened last time we were stuck in a hotel room together.

Flashback
     "What" Sam giggles coming out of the bathroom after brushing her teeth and washing her face. I don't respond, I stare at her adoringly, "Mackenzie, what" she pushes my shoulder, I grab her hand pulling her into me, "hi" I whisper, our lips centimeters apart, "hi" she whispers back before connecting our lips.
     I don't know how long we were making out, all I know is that we were very rudely interrupted by a knock at the door. Sam begrudgingly gets off my lap to open the door, I can't see who all is there from where I'm sitting on the bed, but I hear Sam say, "I'm actually kind of tired right now, so you guys go, have fun, I think I'm just going to turn in early", I hear someone else talking, a deeper voice this time, probably Kyle, the guy hardcore crushing on Sam right now, "yeah I'm sure, have fun though" she says sweetly before closing the door.
     "You don't want to go out?" I ask, confused, she walks over to the bed, laying down next to me resting her head on my chest, "nah" , "why?" I ask, still confused, "Mackenzie Roberts, when are you going to get it into that beautiful head of yours that I like you, and I would much rather spend time with you than anyone else, especially Kyle Lewin"
     I can't say anything, like I open my mouth but nothing comes out, all I can do is smile. Samantha Sawyer like me, the girl I've liked since seventh grade actually likes me back. After a while of me not saying anything she looks up at me concerned. I lean down to kiss her, I pull away faster a moment to whisper, "I like you too, like so much" before returning my lips to hers.
End of flashback.

     I hear her come back, fuck, I didn't think she'd be back so soon, I forgot to bring a change of clothes in with me. I accept my defeat and walk out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel. Her eyes go wide as she sees me, I can tell she's about to yell at me for not having clothes on, but before she can I quickly say, "oh would you relax, I thought you would take longer so I didn't think to bring clothes in with me" I quickly grab some clothes to sleep in and make my way back to the bathroom to change.
     When I open the door I see her unpacking her things, confused I ask, "no luck in changing rooms?" "Shut up" she grumbles, pushing past me to go to the bathroom to change and get ready for bed.
     Just as she's about to fall asleep, like I can hear her breathing get deeper I quietly pull out my phone and text her,
Me : goodnight
     Her phone buzzes on the nightstand and she mumbles some what I'm assuming are expletives as she roles over to check it. "Are you fucking kissing me" she says in her adorable sleepy voice. "We'll I assumed you didn't want to talk to me, so I didn't say it" I say proud that I was able to annoy her. "I hate you so much" she mumbles pushing her face into her pillow, trying to fall asleep yet again, "no you don't" I say quiet enough that I thought she couldn't hear as I turn over to go to sleep. "No, I don't" she said quieter then me, I could barely hear her, I knew that she didn't intend for me to hear that, but I did. She doesn't hate me, I thought to myself. She doesn't hate me, a smile came to my face as I drifted off to sleep. She doesn't hate me.