Chapter 7

2 years and 6 months later

     Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck, I thought to myself as I heard the ref blow his whistle signaling the end of the game on the TV.
     Somehow, I still have no idea how, Ole' Miss beat out Florida State in the semi-finals, meaning that for the first time in history they will play in the finals. And we would be playing them, in Mississippi, come Monday.
     I don't know why I'm so nervous, it's not even like I'm going to see her, the likelihood of me bumping into her would be like one in twenty three thousand. It'll be fine, it'll be fine. Right?

     "Ladies, this is it – the championship game! You've worked incredibly hard to get here, and I have absolute faith in each one of you. Remember, you're a team of talented, strong, and determined individuals.
Play with heart and leave it all on the field. Embrace the challenge, and show the world what we're made of. I know you can do this! Trust in your skills, support each other, and never give up.
You've trained for this moment, and you're ready. Play with pride and passion, and let the love for the game fuel your performance. Believe in yourselves, and you'll come out victorious.
Go out there and give it your all! I'll be right there cheering you on every step of the way. You've got this, team! Let's bring home that championship trophy!" My coach said, this was it, this was my moment.
    From the moment we first touched the ball the fight was on. In preparation for the game I made sure not to underestimate Ole' Miss' team, but it was hard, it's like no matter how much you try and convince yourself they are just like every other difficult appoint, in the back of your head I can't help but to think how they've never made it this far, they've never been this good.
     Right now I can't think about that, I can't think about anything other than the game infront of me. Their defense was relentless, making it difficult for us to break through their lines.
      I'm charging down the field with the ball, two defenders in tow. There is no way I can take a shot from here, out of the corner of my eye I see my teammate, I fake right then pass left. I'm able to see her make contact with the ball but I don't see anything after that, because right then, it felt like that one scene in highschool musical three where Troy and Gabriela are singing to each other and everything else is dark except the spotlights on them. Right behind my team mate, in the stands, I see her, staring right back at me.
     I'm frozen, I can hear faint yelling and cheering but nothing else, all my attention is on her, and her's on me. I'm abruptly tackled from behind, returning my attention to my celebrating teammates.
     As I jogged back to the center of the field I couldn't help but keep my eyes glued on her. I don't know how it was physically possible but she got ten times more beautiful since I've last seen her. God I've missed her.
     There's a minute left in the game, and we're tied, three to three. We worked the ball down the field to the opposing goal, and with seconds left the ball found its way to me. Mustering up as much energy as I had left I sped past the defenders, creating an opening. Time seemed to slow down as I took aim, and with a swift strike, I watched the ball sail through the air, heading straight for the top corner of the net.
     I could have sworn I heard the ball hit the back of the net and roll down, that's how quiet it was. Just as the quick time seemed to slow down it came back to normal and next thing I know I'm on the ground. With what felt like the entire Stanford Women's Soccer team on top of me.

     Later that night the whole team planned on going out and celebrating before catching our flight home the next morning.
     We found a decently quiet bar, not too many people to where you couldn't hear yourself think, but also not too few people where it felt weird and empty.
     I was having a great time, I can honestly say I was so enthralled in our victory that I hadn't thought of Sam since I saw her at the game, that was until I heard the bell above the door ring. I turned around to see if it was one of my teammates that we were still waiting on, but to my surprise it was her.
     Our eyes met. All the emotions of our past seemed to come flooding back in a matter or milliseconds. She slowly made her way towards me, and as if my legs had a mind of their own I found myself doing the same. My heart is pounding with anticipation.
     When we finally stood face to face, the weight of the years melted away. A mix of nervousness and excitement filled my body. The awkwardness quickly vanished when she flashed me one of her perfect smiles and I launched myself into her. She hugged me back just as desperately.
     Much to my disappointment she pulled away, however she still kept her hands firmly placed on my hips. "Are you seeing anyone right now" she asked, I was taken aback by her bluntness, "umm, no" I stuttered out, "great, me neither" she said, "so can I kiss you" she said, getting right to the point yet again. I genuinely think that if I tried to speak right now the only thing that would come out would be a bunch of noises, like the kind of noises you make when you get the wind knocked out of you.
     So rather than responding with words I just cupped her check with one hand, and firmly placed the other around her back, pulling her into me, connecting our lips for the first time in a long time.
     I missed her, I knew I missed her, but I don't think I realized how much I missed her. When I pulled away to catch my breath it felt like I was empty, like if I wasn't somehow connected to her I would become this weightless begging and float off into the abyss. It took that kiss to make me realize how dark my life has been for the past 2 years, she is my light, and I've lost her. But I'm not going to lose her again.