~ the only thing i can say is one-four-three. [helaena targaryen]

[posted 23/03/26]

basically i love helaena and i have many feelings about her so please enjoy this drabble! reader is afab with she/her pronouns. also partly inspired by something i reblogged earlier. my requests are OPEN please send away!

Perhaps being a lady-in-waiting had its perks

Perhaps being a lady-in-waiting had its perks. You had unaccompanied and unlimited time with the woman you loved so dearly. Being in love with her had almost felt like drowning. One moment you were above water, the next you were sinking under the weight of never being able to have her fully. Sharing her with the world and never being allowed to be open in your love.

You had suspected Aegon knew, his gaze trailed after you and his wife as though he was displeased at worst. Perhaps he viewed it the same way as you — he could never provide the emotional support she needed. He could give her children, but he could never put in the emotional labour or time you could.

You spend almost every night with her, the only time you don't is when Aegon deems himself fit to take your place. You don't speak about it — you couldn't picture the two of them together, she was yours, and you were hers in everything but law. Imagining such a thing would send you into fits of panic. The fear that Helaena would never want to see you again or, worse, realise she truly loved her husband had seeped itself in your mind one too many times.

You were lucky, tonight was one of those nights it was just the two of you. Where you could finally be yourselves with little outside influence, just laying on her bed while the two of you spoke about whatever came to mind, sharing chaste kisses and whispers of affection. You would never choose a life different to the one you had now, even if it were to end abruptly — your love would remain pure.

In the moments you had together, you would forever cherish. It couldn't last forever, no matter how much you wanted it to. One day you'd be married to a Lord who could never compare to the girl you love.

"I love you so, so much, Hel." She was long into dreamland by this point as you held her, her hair tickling your face not that you minded. It was a serene moment, though you could not help the melancholy you felt, never being able to admit such emotions aloud to her. Instead, they lived in your head and were spoken during moments you fell in and out of consciousness.

i hope you enjoyed this! i went for a softer approach because hel is my baby girl and deserves the world and all the love

i hope you enjoyed this! i went for a softer approach because hel is my baby girl and deserves the world and all the love. it's something a bit different than i'm used to writing but shorter things can be fun too!