Chapter 5: Collaboration

I pick up the triplets early in the evening and drive to the coast. Cassie said that the ferry only takes people to the island Friday at sunset and won't come again until Monday, so I assume it's some sort of party island, but I guess I'll find out when I get there.

At first, I was anxious about going because it's not a business trip and I wasn't sure how I would fit into this new dynamic, but so far everything is normal. I think maybe we've been friends this whole time and I've been overthinking everything, so now I'm excited to hang out and have some time to myself to write on the beach.

The drive isn't long and when I park the car, Cassie is there waiting. She's standing by other people but I know she's the short brunette with waves because I looked her up before we left.

"Hi!" She hugs Chris first and then moves on to the rest of us.

"Thanks for inviting us," Nick says as Cassie gives him a big hug.

"It's my pleasure, I'm such a huge fan." Cassie hugs Matt and then stands right in front of me.

"Malia. Oh, my gosh you're gorgeous." She smiles, showing her straight white teeth. I would much rather shake her hand, but she's a hugger and she's already going for it. She wraps her delicate yet surprisingly strong arms around me. Cassie smells sweet and tropical, like cherries and fruit punch.

"Oh, thank you, and thank you for inviting me."

"Of course. We're going to have so much fun." She gives me one last squeeze then releases me. We grab our bags and then walk towards the ferry. It's not too crowded- a few people here and there around our age, but more passengers are arriving. We find seats at the top to watch the sunset and Cassie gives us the run-down.

"Alright, so you four have two villas and there are two rooms in a villa. Once you get settled in, get ready for the welcome party." Cassie told us about the party and said it's more cocktail than casual. I hope I packed the right dress and heels for this occasion.

"Nick?" someone says from behind us. I turn around and see a tall guy with dark blond hair.

"Louis?" Nick says, standing up. Louis hugs Nick and I can tell he's thrown off by it.

"I didn't know you were going to Santa Lyla. Oh, you brought the whole crew."

Nick introduces us and I can tell why Nick is drawn to him; he's attractive and charismatic. The guys go inside to get snacks. Matt said he'd bring me back water so I could take my headache medicine- I feel a migraine coming on. As soon as they leave, Cassie scoots closer to me.

"Malia, girl. What's your type?"

Oh, we're diving right in. The wind is picking up and I have to get my hair out of my face every few seconds.

"Um, my type?" I laugh. "What's your type?"

"Chris, duh." She laughs. I admire her boldness. We literally just met and she's talking to me like she's known me for years. "So... what about you?"

"I don't know if I have a type. As long as they're funny, sweet, and honest I'll be good." Cassie's dark brown eyes are looking at me, waiting for me to go on, but I don't have anything else to say. I really don't have a preference especially when it comes to looks.

"Well, I do like pretty eyes," I add.

"Are you into Matt?" Cassie asks.

"Uh, I'm his assistant." If the wind wasn't hitting me in the face right now I could feel more of the heat in my cheeks.

"Yeah, I know. What does that matter?"

I don't respond. I don't know what to say. Thankfully, she starts speaking again so I don't have to.

"Well, if you're not into him, then I've got the perfect guy for you." She gets out her phone and hits send on a text so fast I don't have time to think. When did this casual conversation turn into a match-making conversation?

"Oh-uh, that's okay I'm not really looking for anything right now-"

"James, over here!" Cassie calls and waves someone over. I fix my hair and see a tall guy make his way to us. I feel nauseous and it's not just being seasick from how the ferry travels against the waves. Why is Cassie trying to set me up with someone right now? I've known her for maybe thirty minutes. Is there some sort of couples weekend on the island I'm not aware of?

There are many questions circling my brain as I wait for James to reach us, but when he does, I have a new question; Is this island only for super attractive people? Cassie, Louis, and now James? I hope they let me on this island.

"James, this is Malia. She works with the Sturniolos."

"Hey, Malia. It's nice to meet you." He reaches out to shake my hand and I can't help but notice the rings on his fingers. I shake his hand and look into his pretty green eyes. Wow.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, too." I smile. James tells me that he's studying to be a doctor and Cassie brags about all the charity work he does for kids. His parents are friends with the owners of the island and he says he's invited to come whenever he wants to.

James and I walk toward the railing and watch the sunset together while I talk to him about writing. In the corner of my eye, I see Matt and Chris come back with water. Chris gives the water bottle to Cassie and Matt stares at me but doesn't approach us, instead he takes a seat. I want to go back over to them, especially because I want to take my headache medicine, but I stay with James. He notices me shaking and gives me his jacket which was sweet. 

When I first saw him, I was intimidated by his model-good looks, but he's actually really easy to talk to. Our conversations make the time go by and before I know it, the sun has gone down and the ferry comes to a stop.

I turn around and see a beautiful island waiting for us. The scene in front of my eyes is picture-perfect from the sand to the mountains and from the sea to the sky. The palm trees on the beach are dancing in the wind, and if I listen closely to the sounds I hear, it's almost like the island is saying... welcome.