Chapter 18: Focused

I know in situations like this, you're not supposed to split up, but we don't have much of a choice if Matt's life is on the line. Nick and Chris take the right entrance of the tunnel while I take the left. I told Sam to stay in the cart. If the vampires aren't in the cave, then Sam's barking will warn us when they come back. I slide down the sand and step over the rocks until the entrance expands and I'm inside the cave.

I'm holding onto the stake so tight it's hurting my hand, but it keeps me alert. I take a few steps into the cave and frantically move my hands in front of my face because I felt something touch my skin. Oh, it's just a cobweb. I shake it off and keep walking. 

There's not much light down here, except a few fires in some sort of bins spread throughout the area. I hope it's an old fire and not one they lit recently. I know if the vampires are down here and Matt, then it's like a "two birds one stone" type of situation, but I'm secretly hoping they're not here. I'm praying that Matt's the only one here and we can just grab him and go.

So far, there's no sign of anyone on my side, not even Matt. It's almost like another villa down here, but a villa from the early 1900s. There are run-down pieces of furniture, candelabras, and what seems to be a fountain with no water but lots of dirt and cobwebs. It sort of reminds me of the old Tower of Terror ride, like all the creepy things you see when waiting in line, right before the terrifying drop. I feel the same anticipation in my stomach, like I'm waiting for the drop. I walk deeper and stop dead in my tracks. I see Matt sleeping on an old bed.

"Matt!" I ran to him. He didn't move when I called his name and as I'm getting closer to him, I notice how pale his skin is. No, no, no. I drop the stake and gently shake him. He feels colder than normal. This can't be happening.

"Matt!" I shake him harder. He slowly opens his eyes and jumps back when he sees me. "Oh, thank God! I thought you were dead," I say through tears. I reach out to touch him, but he flinches.

"What's wrong? Did they hurt you?" If they hurt Matt, I'm going to kill them. I hate the thought of them even laying a hand on him.

"Malia?" he whispers with a strained voice. "Is it really you?"

"Of course, it's me," I say. He just stares at me and scoots away on the bed. "Come on, we've gotta go before they find us." I stand up to leave but he doesn't follow me. "Matt, come on."

"W-what movie did we watch when I was sick?" he asks.

"Finding Nemo." I smile. Matt sits up and wraps his arms around me. I hug him back.

"Oh, thank God it's you." He holds me so we're face to face. "You were right. They're vampires and they fuck with your mind. I thought I was following you here, but then someone bit me and forced the punch on me and everything feels weird now." I wipe the tears that are falling from his beautiful blue eyes.

"Everything's gonna be alright. Let's get out of here." I pick up the stake and help him up. As we are making our way to the exit, we bump into Nick and Chris who are covered in blood.

"They're following us!" Chris yells.

"Go! Go! GO!" Nick screams, pushing us closer to where I came through. I turn around and see Cassie coming after us with killer fangs and glowing white eyes. We run to the exit, and I make sure the boys get out of the cave first. Just as I'm about to get out, I feel a hand grab my ankle.

Cassie is pulling me back in and I try to kick her away, but she's strong. I try to turn around and stab her, but she's too strong. Nick and Chris hold onto my arms and pull in the opposite direction. I'm almost completely out of the darkness, and when my legs make it out of the cave, Cassie's hand burns in the sun. I hear the sizzling sound of her skin bursting into flames and give her one last kick until I am finally free from her grasp. We make it to the cart, and I drive us away.