thirty

Brielle

I woke up and Enzo wasn't next to me.
My head shifted around the room looking for him.

He was sitting near the window in a chair in only sweatpants. I pushed the covers off of me and walking out of bed towards him.

It was either freezing or I'm just always cold. "you okay", I ask standing next to him looking down.

"its cold out here", I shudder. He scoffs, "your always cold."

I scowl at him as he lets out a deep sigh folding his arms and leaning back. "What are you thinking about?", I ask. He takes a while to anwser but finally looks up at me.

"you", me? "And Esmée", he added. I smile, "nice." But his expression doesn't look nice. "So why doesn't your face look happy?" I ask. I put my hand on the back of his neck for comfort and he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me to him.

Something is definitely wrong. "Is it work?" I ask. Since I had Esmée we decided that I'd be the one to retire so lately I've got no idea what's happening there.

Enzo stands and surprisingly scoops me up in his arms. "But let us not talk", he says we fall on the bed.

_____________

Enzo and I were busy from three in the morning to the time Esmée woke. Which was seven.

He was fell asleep though so I got Esmée and changed her. I find myself always staring and smiling while looking at her.

I don't think I've ever felt this much joy in my life. It was wonderful.

I sat her in her high chair while I cut up some fruit for her. After I did that I made myself cereal and not long after I heard footsteps coming my way.

These days I can never hear the front door opening. Aurora and Amelia came by. "Good morning!" Aurora says in a baby voice to Esmée while pinching her cheeks.

"How are you?" Amelia asks me. I shrug and swallow my cereal, "Good, you?" She also shrugs but doesnt answer. I turn to Aroura and say, "have you heard from Nic." She glances at me and looks back to Esmee, pulling her out of the high chair and holding her.

"Uhm, yeah he called. He said he's sorry for treating me like shit and what not", she responded. I nod and don't ask her anything else about the subject because I can tell it bothers her. But I hear steps in the distance and Enzo comes around the corner.

He's all dressed.

"Hey", he spoke softly and kissed Esmée before kissing me. "Work", is all he says before leaving the kitchen. Very vauge. I get up and go after him to the driveway.

"Enzo", I call out. He turns and flashes me a smile, but it's so fake. I walk up to him and cup his clean shaven jawline. "Whats wrong, and please dont say nothing", I say sternly.

"It's nothing, please don't worry", he still says but kisses my hand and I watch him walk to his car.

I head back inside and grab my phone. I dial my fathers number and go to the backyard.

"Hey my love, what's up?", he answered. "What's going on?" I say without hesitation.

"Enzo. I bring up work and he acts weird so what's happening there?" I said. He was silent for a minute or so.

"The usual, nothing to worry about princess", he said trying to convince me. Which it didn't. "Tell me, let this be the first the truth you tell me", I say.