the meeting

While sitting in the doctor's office, Izuku fiddles with an All Might figure, a mix of nervousness and excitement on his face. Inko turns to him, a warm smile gracing her lips. "Are you feeling excited to finally discover your quirk, Honey?"

A grin spreads across Izuku's features. "Definitely! I'm going to become a hero, just like All Might!"

As they wait, the doctor's call breaks the anticipation. "The Midoriyas, please come in," he beckons them into an examination room. His tone shifts to somber as he continues, "I have some unfortunate news."

Inko's concern deepens as she asks, her voice trembling, "What's the matter? Is his quirk dangerous?"

Regret is evident in the doctor's expression. "Unfortunately, not at all. Izuku is quirkless. Given the circumstances, it might be wise to consider an alternative to his dream of becoming a hero. I'm truly sorry."

A heavy sense of disappointment hangs in the air, but Izuku refuses to let it consume him. Instead, he chooses to channel his determination into intense training, mastering various combat techniques and weaponry.

Jumping ahead to the third year of middle school, during a career planning session, the teacher's voice echoes in the room, feigning exasperation. "And of course, Bakugou is applying to UA."

Bakugou can't resist the chance to boast. "Well, obviously. Because I'm way ahead of you losers," he declares, reveling in the smirks of his friends. Amidst the classroom's laughter, Izuku discloses his intention to apply, inviting a chorus of mockery.

After class, Bakugou and his group confront Izuku, unleashing a brutal assault. Despite his capability to fight back, Izuku endures, absorbing the blows silently. Once the attackers retreat, Izuku, battered but not broken, pulls himself up and chooses an alternate path home.

Later that day, as Izuku walks, he hears anguished cries from an alley. He spots a group of boys surrounding a girl with pink skin and horns, subjecting her to their cruelty. Without hesitation, Izuku steps in.

"Stop!"

"Why bother? She's just an ugly pink mutant," one of the boys scoffs, his arrogance evident.

Izuku responds calmly, "And I'm quirkless."

A spark of hope ignites in the girl's eyes at his words. Excitement ripples through the boys as they sense his perceived vulnerability. "A new toy!" they jeer, rushing him. Izuku's practiced moves and swift reflexes diffuse their aggression, sending them scurrying away.

Turning his attention to the girl, Izuku extends a hand. "Are you okay?"

Her voice quivers as she responds, "Please, no more."

"I won't hurt you. Let's get those wounds treated." Leading her to a nearby drugstore, Izuku gathers supplies to care for her injuries. They find a quiet corner in a nearby park, where he carefully cleans her wounds with rubbing alcohol.

"Why are you helping me?" she wonders, her guardedness beginning to waver.

"Why not?" Izuku's reply is simple, yet it carries a profound weight, drawing a tentative smile from her.

Their conversation continues with a pause before she asks again, "Why did you step in back there?"

Izuku's gaze is earnest. "I believe in standing up for what's right. Seeing someone in trouble and doing nothing about it... that's not who I want to be."

Her curiosity deepens, "That's inspiring. But what about your own injuries?"

"I got beat up by classmates who thought a quirkless loser couldn't aim for UA."

"But you took those other guys down so effortlessly."

"I've been training since I was diagnosed as quirkless. However, I only use my skills to protect others, not for my own gain."

Amidst vulnerability and shared pain, a bond forms between them. "You're kind of strange. But I think I like it. I'm Mina Ashido."

A genuine smile graces Izuku's face, "I'm Izuku Midoriya."

As their conversation unfolds, they learn about each other's dreams and struggles. Mina reveals her own plans to apply to UA, and Izuku opens up about his proficiency with different weapons.

"Thanks, Midori."

"Midori?"

"It's just short for Midoriya, like Ashi for Ashido."

Understanding dawns in his eyes, "Got it. Let me walk you home, Ashi."

Mina hesitates, "You don't have to."

"I know. But I want to make sure you get home safely." They head in the direction of her house, a promise of staying connected hanging between them.

Reaching her home, their conversation persists. "So, Midori, do you have a phone?"

A nod from Izuku, "Yeah, why?"

She playfully takes his phone, "Let's see. Just one contact—your mom."

Izuku chuckles, "Well, people haven't exactly been lining up to befriend the quirkless guy."

"True. But now you have two." Returning the phone, she points to her own house. "This is me."

"Alright, see you."

"Don't forget to send me a text."

"I won't."