(11) december

The air was getting much chillier now, that was the sign of the holidays. Honestly, Libby was just happy to have survived this semester. Without a doubt the most stress in a long time. At least it couldn't get worse.

She was also excited for the winter break. While she didn't have Christmas it was still a nice couple of weeks to herself. But that didn't mean it was over yet.

The school was still having the winter formal, even after Jeff, Hannah, and Alex all being less than two months ago. Bolan argues activities like this is how our community heals. It's just more sweeping problems under the rug. School had not been the most carefree place since Jess and Alex left. Bryce was noticing his friends were starting to distance themselves due to the heat he was getting from the girls at school. He was getting desperate, but he was still not getting nearly as much flack as he should be. Jess was gone now and so was Justin.

Libby had been so sure he would be back, but it's almost been a month and still no word. She finally decided to call him, but he didn't answer. He had gone off the radar. Meaning the only way she would see him again was on his terms.

She was currently at Jess' house before school. They had made it a bit of a tradition that some days she would have breakfast at her house and catch up. Libby normally didn't eat breakfast, so it was a nice change of pace.

Mr. Davis had welcomed her with a smile as he led her to the kitchen. She had also become very acquainted with both of Jess' parents. They were shocked and happy that their daughter had a close friend who was willing to go above and beyond to see her. Libby didn't feel like she deserved that much praise for it.

Jess had informed her that she told her parents about getting raped, but lied to them and the police that she was unconscious and so didn't see who it was. From what Libby could tell her father at least had some suspicions that she was hiding something still. But he didn't push her. He was a good father. Both her parents were amazing. Thoughtful and understanding of their child's needs.

She was hesitant that morning to ask. "And Justin still hasn't come to school?"

Libby shook her head. "Or answered any of my calls." She looked down in slight guilt. "What's wrong?"

She paused. "I told him I never wanted to see him for as long as I live. Immediately after that no one has seen him since. It makes me feel like it's my fault." She laughed. "Do you think I'm pathetic for worrying about him?"

She shook her head. "Not at all. He was your boyfriend and you loved him. Really cared for him. All that's not gonna disappear overnight."

Jess started tearing up. "I want to hate him. I want to so bad. But I can't bring myself to. He let me get raped and I'm worried for his fucking safety! He could be on the streets right now, because I told him I didn't care."

Libby took her hands. "Jess, you are not pathetic for being a compassionate person. I don't think he deserves your kindness, but I would never criticize you for being who you are. And Justin's actions are not your fault in the slightest. His choices are his own."

She nodded with a smile. "I feel sad about not going to the formal. I was gonna ask you if we could go. Like you and Hannah went. Friends having fun at a party."

Libby thought for a moment. "How about I swing by your house after the dance and we can have a sleepover? We can get all dressed up for no reason and put on our own formal."

Jess' face lit up. "You really want to do that with me?"

She nodded. "Absolutely! Is that a yes? Jessica Davis, would you accompany me to a winter formal staged in your own house?"