(13) february

Libby was nervous, but also excited to finally be able to visit him.

The Standall's had called to tell her that Alex was finally cognitively aware of his surrounding and verbal again. A huge milestone for his recovery. Deputy Standall said at this rate, he would be able to return to school in no time.

This meant Libby's involvement in his life was an absolute must. She needed him to know that he was protected now. That she would keep him safe.

Tyler had been going to see him for weeks now, taking pictures of the boy in his recovery. Libby thought it was a bit creepy, but she wasn't gonna judge. She actually thought it was nice that Tyler felt he finally had a friend. He needed one.

Tyler pulled his car up a bit down the street as Libby hopped in. "You ready to go?"

She nodded hesitantly. "How is he? Like, what should I expect?"

Tyler shrugs. "He's Alex. His hair's grown a bit, which is good. Hides the hole."

Libby nodded. "I don't like hospitals. White walls with sick people. Freaks me out."

He hesitated. "Is there any deeper reason?"

She took a deep breath. "Viktor, I remember him being dragged to one kicking and screaming. Before I left. Now it's all I think of. Places where my sick brother pretends he's getting better."

Tyler took her hand. "You never really talk about them. Your blood siblings."

She laughed. "Not much to say. I didn't get much of a chance to know them. Really know them. Before I was taken again."

Tyler continued to rub her hand comfortingly as they drove to the hospital. Libby took shaky breaths as he moved them around the giant building to where Alex was being held. This was it. She's been waiting for this moment for months. Why was she so nervous?

Tyler greeted him as they walked into the small room. "Hi, Alex."

"Hi, Tyler." Tyler was right, Alex looked exactly the same. Except his natural hair color had grown in immensely. He looked older.

Tyler smiled. "I brought someone else who wanted to see you." Libby made her presence known as she waved.

Alex looked at her with wide eyes. "Libby? What are you doing here? And, I say this respectfully, what are you doing here with Tyler?"

What? "Very funny, Alex."

He shakes his head. "I'm not joking. I mean, I guess you two hang out at school, but I didn't know you were that close."

Libby turned to her boyfriend. "What's happening?"

Tyler was as confused as she was. "Alex, we're together. You know that. You were one of the first people to know that."

"I was?" He got excited. "How did I get in on this secret. Libby Clarke and Tyler Down. It sounds so scandalous but cute. Some Romeo and Juliet star-crossed lovers."

Libby rolled her eyes. "It's not that dramatic."

Alex snorted. "Then why is it a secret?"

Libby sighed. "Because my family would hurt him, Alex. I told you this before. Do you not-" Her eyes widen in realization. "What's the last thing you remember?"

He tried to think. "I remember, orientation. The school assembly welcoming us to junior year." Libby gives him a shocked look. "What's wrong?"

She explains. "Alex, that was in September. It's February right now."

Alex blinks in shock. "But I mean, I was out from the accident, so....."

Libby shakes her head. "You......that was in November. Early November, but.....you don't remember anything from like a month prior to your accident?"