.Chapter 14.

"You've got to keep it in that cell!"

"Doctor, it's all my fault."  

The Doctor was in Mr. Statten's office and was communicating with Rose through a video call on the flat screen. He could see Elizabeth sitting on a folding chair and holding a handkerchief to her nose. Anxiety flooded his bones as he saw her gaunt look.

"I've sealed the compartment. He can't get out. That lock's got a billion combinations." A guard spoke up as he approached the screen.

"The Dalek's a genius," The Time Lord said, matter factly. "It can calculate a thousand billion combinations in one second flat."

The guards all form together in a stand off. They raised their guns towards the door and the anticipation of the Dalek escaping drove their fear out of control. Rose grabbed Elizabeth's arm and hoisted her up, preparing them to make an escape. 

Slowly. The door opened.

"Open fire!"

The guns fired off their rounds. The girls flinched at the sound; their ears ringing loud. 

"Rose! Get out of there!" The Doctor shouts.

The Dalek slowly inches it's way forward to the line of guards. The bullets were not penetrating it's armor and it kept rolling their way; unfazed by the gunfire. 

"De Maggio! Take the civilians and get them out alive." 

"Let's go!"

Rose pulled Elizabeth's elbow and the group run off in retreat. From the force of Rose abruptly pulling her, Elizabeth drops her cloth on the ground. Thankfully, her bleeding nose seemed to have stopped. 

Rose and Elizabeth follow De Maggio through the maze of Van Statten's base. Passing more armed guards that held assault rifles in defensive positions. The faint firing of a gunstick filtered into Elizabeth's ears and she stopped running. The sound petrified her to her core as she heard it fire more. Her visioned blackened and for a moment she could smell smoke from thousands of fires. 

"Run! Theo! Run!"

"Kota! No!"

"EXTERMINATE!"

"Lizzie! What are you doing? C'mon!" Rose screams as she races back to her and pulls her forward again.

"Look! Stairs! That's more like it! Hasn't got legs, it's stuck!" Rose exclaims.

"It's coming! Get up!"

The group runs up a flight of stairs and stops in time for the Dalek to roll in the doorway. "Stairs aren't gonna stop it," Elizabeth whispers as she stares down the rolling machine. Rose looked at her confused at her comment and turns back to the Dalek.

"Great big alien death machine. Defeated by a flight of stairs," Adam snorts. 

"It's not going to stop it," Elizabeth says again; only louder.