Chapter 5

SLOAN POV

Hunter followed me into the building where I head to the stairs and he glances at the elevator. "Sloan, it's quicker by elevator." He hollers. "I prefer the stairs." He continued, and I did too, using the stairs.

Reached the tenth floor to find Hunter already with the team and they are laughing. No doubt telling him how they hate me, and can't work with me. To be honest, I don't like the way they give snide remarks behind my back to one another. But I'm not going to tell Hunter that, when they worked for him longer than I have. This is the problem I get, and then they go to the boss, making up some excuse, and the boss asks me to leave quietly.

Sure, I could do with the money too, but something Hunter said had me rethinking about working for him. I'm not using him for money, or to get ahead in my profession. Everyone knows I'm at the top of my profession, that's why Silas contacted me personally.

I'd be working for him and no one else. No team, no worry of being stabbed in the back or your ideas being stolen. It would be just Silas and me. What a perfect job to be offered. I would be designing the page layout for his sporting app. While he was on TV, playing eligible billionaire bachelor.

Yet, I'm here defending my profession and trying to keep my shit together. If I'm truly honest, I need to be far away from Hunter, so I don't catch feelings. He is my boss, not my friend. I preferred it when he annoyed me more, but now it's awkward, messy, complicated.

Hunter is my brother's best mate. And we did something that we can't take back, or tell anyone without ridicule. Damn you, Hunter Grady for being so perfect. Having the sexiest body, the hottest abs, and gorgeous blue eyes. Did I happen to mention he's tall, dark hair, and fucking good-looking. The way Hunter Grady looks is a damn crime to mankind.

It's like all the sweetness got poured into sculpting this guy. That's why I need to distance myself from him. Before we both do something we regret, or we get hurt. And I've been hurt. And trust me, the feeling isn't nice, and the things they say, just to get a kick out of destroying you. Rendering you with doubt that you believe every word they said. Carter, never had a good word to say about me after he left, and he still rants his hatred towards me. He told everyone I was the one who kicked him out, which wasn't true. Carter left. Then he ranted about how lousy I am in bed. That hurt, it deeply hurt.

Every time Carter and I got intimate, he would stand up afterwards shaking his head, telling me I wasn't turning him on and how I was stiff when he touched me. But when I'm with Hunter, It's so different. The way Hunter touches me, gliding his fingers softly over my exposed skin. Even his kisses are tender, filled with passion. Or is Hunter acting?

I really don't know. And that's why I need to distance myself from being a friend. Hunter is my boss, or was my boss.

***

I drew in a breath standing at the back of the room waiting for the laughter to die down, but it doesn't. Instead, they chat about a few ideas they have which were mine and now it's backfired on me again.

Folded my arms, closed my eyes, waiting for my tears to stop threatening. The only one who knew my ideas is my brother. Yeah, I always run things by him to get his opinion. Guess I do rely on my brother far too much.

But my attention needs to be focused on what's being said. And the team are chatting to Hunter like it was their Ideas.

I was going to speak up, but kept my mouth shut, as Hunter nodded and liked the ideas. "Sloan, what do you think?" Hunter now asks after they chatted for almost an hour, and forgot I was here. "It's up to you. You're the boss." His eyes furrow, then glances at the layout of the front page. "Amber, why did you chose this pose of me?" She's gone a little red faced, and glances at one of the others for help.