Chapter 4: The Fix

**This is my original copyrighted work. I will only post on Wattpad. Do not copy or repost to any other apps. If you find this story on another app, please let me know so I can have it taken down. Whoever is stealing my stories, please kindly get a life. There are plenty of AI chatbots out there that can write stories for you if you aren't creative enough to come up with your own.**

Cleo

"Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice." Kari Wilson smiled at Cleo and gestured to a chair across from her.

"No problem. Is everything okay?" Cleo sat obediently. Kari was a tough, no-nonsense woman, and it felt like she had been called in front of the school principal and was in trouble.

"First, I just want to tell you:  your work on this movie," Kari kissed her fingers and smiled. "Chef's kiss. This is what? Your sixth film?" Cleo nodded. "You've knocked out of the park. But I knew you would. That's why I suggested you for the role."

"I've been having a blast filming. I think I'll be sad to end this one if a little waterlogged." She smiled happily. She wasn't lying. She hadn't had this much fun on a set ever. Despite Link being a complete ass, she had thoroughly enjoyed her time in Greece and meeting everyone over there. She had a small little present that had special meaning to the movie made for the cast and crew over there and gave it to them during the Greece wrap party. She would miss Michail in particular. He had taken her diving in several places around the island and wanted her to visit when she finished filming, something she was heavily considering. 

"So I can assume you want this movie to succeed, correct?" Kari's voice interrupted her thoughts, and she forced herself back to the conversation. 

"Of course."

"And you'd do your part to make sure that happens?" Kari was leaning toward her, her eyes like X-rays as they swept over Cleo.

Yes, of course." Cleo repeated nervously. "Within reason. What do you want me to do?"

"You've heard about the cheating scandal your co-star has managed to get himself involved in?"

"I'm not sure what that has to do with me."

"I would hate for this movie to bomb, potentially taking your career with it, because of your co-star's actions. I've spoken with Link's manager and publicist, and they claim the pictures are from a year ago while Link was on vacation there. They met at a party and spent a few days in Link's villa. The thing is, there's no hard evidence for it either way and public opinion had soured on him before all this happened. The model is denying everything, but she's trying to save her marriage, so of course she is. We need to turn the story around, and you two have insane chemistry in this movie-"

"You want me to pretend to be in a relationship with Link Hart?" Cleo interrupted, laughing. "Come on! No one will believe it! He goes for young, tall, leggy, blonde models who like to party. I'm nothing like that."

"Listen, we just need you to be his alibi for this. The model was cheating; we know that she wasn't where she said she was going to be, and we know she was at the resort, but we also know she wasn't with Link and for whatever reason, someone is trying to bring Link down with her. You two have been secretly dating, and he was with you on the night in question."

Cleo sighed and contemplated the idea. She really didn't want the movie to fail. The preliminary shots were incredible, and she was sure it was going to open up loads more leading actress roles for her. And if Link was innocent in this case, then she didn't want him to lose out on his second chance either. "How long are we doing this?"

"A month or two after the release of the movie."

"Okay, I always go away for the month after the press is done on a movie. If he promises to do the same, stay out of sight for that month, we can have an amicable break-up when it's over."

"Perfect. I'll leave it to you two to work out the details." Kari smiled. "And who knows, maybe the reason Link's relationships are so short-lived is because he keeps dating the wrong women."

"I really doubt I'm the right one."

—-----------------------------------------

Nico was appropriately appalled when she filled him in on the meeting. "So what happens now?"

"I have to call Haven and get her to set up a meeting with his team to go over the ground rules." Cleo muttered as she pulled out her phone and called her manager/publicist.

"Hey Cleo, how's everything going?"

"I just left a meeting with Kari. They want me to fake date Link to save the movie."

"Yeah, I figured that would be their next step when I saw the article. Am I setting up a meeting with his team?"

"I dunno. Did I do the right thing here?" Cleo asked, suddenly very unsure she had made the right choice.

"I think so, you're saving the movie, and you have the upper hand here. He's the one who stands to lose if he doesn't do what you ask. I'll set up the meeting for tomorrow evening at six. Your Condo?"

"Yes please." Cleo said quietly. "See you tomorrow."

"Don't worry Cleo, it's just six months. Then you go off for a month by yourself to Danielle's private Island in time for the apple harvest in Ontario, break up with him amicably and stay friends."

"Yeah." Cleo snorted. "Friends." She hung up and looked over at Nico. "Do you and Frankie want to come to supper tomorrow night?"

"You're giving me front-row seats to the shitshow?" Nico grinned at her. "Yes please."

"Sure, I guess we'll have to let Link in on the fact that you're gay at some point."

"It was fun watching him glare at me while it lasted." Nico sighed dramatically, and the two of them burst into giggles as he pulled into her visitor's spot.

—--------------------------------------------

Link

Link was pacing anxiously while Will and Annette spoke quietly to each other, coming up with contingency plans in case Cleo refused to cooperate. He didn't know which would be worse if he was honest, her agreeing to it or saying no. Agreeing to it put him firmly in her debt and at her mercy. Saying no meant his career would probably tank, and she was willing to gamble on hers surviving the fallout. It would survive too, he had to admit, she was a phenomenal actress, and he found himself putting in extra effort to match her during their scenes together. The dailies they were producing had the production company very excited, and he felt proud of the work he was doing for the first time in a long time.

Annette's phone rang, and she answered quickly. Link stopped pacing and watched as relief crossed her features. His stomach knotted up. Cleo had said yes. When she hung up, she was smiling. "We're meeting her team tomorrow night to go over the rules. Start thinking about what you want in the agreement."

"Do I even get a say?" He ran his hand over his eyes.

"Of course, this is for both of you." Annette tutted as she collected her things. "Six PM. I'll text you the address, don't be late." When she left, Will came and clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"Come on. It won't be that bad. She's a good friend of Danielle's and very sweet."

"I know she's sweet." Link grumbled. "There's a reason I call her Shortcake. She's short and toothache-inducingly sweet." And the fact that she smells and tastes like strawberries and whipped cream had nothing to do with it. 

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

 Posted to Wattpad ONLY*