Chapter 5: The Talk

**This is my original copyrighted work. I will only post on Wattpad. Do not copy or repost to any other apps. If you find this story on another app, please let me know so I can have it taken down. Whoever is stealing my stories, please kindly get a life. There are plenty of AI chatbots out there that can write stories for you if you aren't creative enough to come up with your own.**

Link arrived at Cleo's condo in Santa Monica at five-thirty, wanting to talk to her before everyone else showed up. He walked in and told the doorman who he was, there was a brief conversation between the doorman and Cleo, and he was told to go on up. Cleo met him at the door, looking a little apprehensive. "You're early."

"I know. I wanted to talk to you alone." She stepped back and let him in, and he got his first look at her home. They were in a decent-sized entranceway with a nook with a built-in table where keys were tossed into a bowl and her purse sat. The wall behind the table was a mosaic of small glass tiles in different shades of blue. The floors were light blonde wood, and the walls were white. As he moved into the condo, there was a flight of stairs going up to the left, and directly across from the entrance, he could see what looked like a media room with a large TV and several black leather recliners. To the immediate right was a black baby grand piano. It didn't surprise him to see a bunch of songbooks stacked on it, Cleo had a beautiful voice, so it made sense that she played an instrument as well.

Past the piano, it opened into the living area, which had floor-to-ceiling windows facing Venice Beach and the ocean. Two comfortable-looking wicker papillon chairs sat with a small table between them and a lamp. There was a large wet bar and a grey sectional sofa in a large U shape with a square coffee table in the middle. There were brushed silver columns, and the front of the room was a graceful rounded arch. As he walked in, he heard voices talking quietly from somewhere nearby.

"The problem is I'm not alone." She admitted as she led him into the kitchen. The floor changed to beige ceramic tiles, and there was a long counter with white Quartz counters on the back wall with a backdrop with a piece of quartz cut from the same sheet. In the middle of that was a gas stove top, and on either end was an oven set in the walls. Grey wooden cabinets surrounded the counter, and a large island with a double sink sat in front of it. A table with a glass top, brushed silver legs, and six chairs around it sat between the island and floor-to-ceiling windows and Link saw her hairdresser and makeup artist sitting at the table with the remains of dinner in front of them. "You remember Nico and Frankie." She introduced them,  they both smiled hello, and Link nodded. "We can go out on the balcony to talk. Do you two mind?"

"Not at all Bellissima; Frankie and I will start the clean-up." Nico stood up and began collecting dirty dishes, and Frankie quickly followed his lead. 

"I'll get that, don't worry. Why don't you guys grab a drink?" She smiled at them affectionately and moved past the table to a door, opening it and gesturing for Link to go out, then following him.

"You have a great view." He leaned on the railing and looked out over Venice Beach. The sun was setting to the left, disappearing behind a distant cliff, and he could see the condo's massive community space directly below him with a large in-ground pool and hot tub, barbecue area and zen garden.

"That's why I bought it." She tilted her head at him and sat on a lounge chair. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I wanted to make sure you understand what you're getting into with this." He sat on the other lounge chair. "For the next six months, we will be expected to do all public appearances together, both official and personal. Like if I'm going to a party, you have to come with me. We will have to be affectionate and loving with each other whenever there's a chance someone might see us, both on set and off. You won't be able to see other people... For all intents and purposes, we will be in a relationship."

"Yeah, Haven explained all that to me this morning." She nodded. "I'm treating it as an acting exercise." She was studying his face, and he felt like she saw his soul for a moment. "Would you have preferred if I said no?"

"Yes." He nodded emphatically. "Look, I know you're saving my ass here, and on one level, I appreciate it, but I don't want this." He waved his hand between them. "To be anything more than a polite co-worker relationship."

"Really?" She raised an eyebrow at him and scoffed. "You could have fooled me."

"About what?" Link knitted his eyebrows together. Yeah, he had checked her out a lot over the past three months; he wasn't going to deny that she was a gorgeous woman. But he had been very careful not to lead her on or give her any idea that he found her attractive. He promised Annette he would behave and that meant with his co-star as well.

"That you wanted our relationship to be polite." She smirked. "I think you're upset that you'll have to be nice to me now, at least in front of other people."

"I'm nice." He protested. He felt heat travel up his neck. He at least hadn't been outright rude to her... had he?

"So nice that the "insider" told the magazine that we hate each other and are like oil and water." She pointed out. "That's on you because I decided months ago I was just going to match your energy." She stood up as people began pouring into her condo. "And if you think you've been treating me nicely, I'd hate to see how you treat people when you aren't trying to have a polite relationship with them."

Link stood up slowly, running his hand through his blonde hair. He knew he had let his resentment of his situation and the fact that he was so dependent on her for his career get to him, but apparently, he hadn't been hiding it as well as he thought. "Look, Cleo -"

"No, Link. I don't want your apologies or explanations. It would have been nice four months ago, but I no longer care. Let's get through the next six months, and then we can move on with our lives." She gestured to the door. "They're waiting for us." She walked away from him, and he was left feeling aggravated she wouldn't let him explain, then shook his head. He deserved it.

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

 Posted to Wattpad ONLY*