Chapter 38: The Interviews

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

Percy already knew what happened with Link and his wife, so he started by asking him just to tell his story, and he would ask questions when he wanted clarification on something. He set a recorder down, and Link started at the beginning, explaining how he and his ex-wife met, their relationship, and having Kimber. He explained that he was baby-trapped but loved his daughter fiercely and worked hard to provide for her and Jerrica. When he went into detail about the abuse Kimber suffered at the hands of his wife, he had to stop several times and compose himself. Cleo sat beside him and held his hand but stayed quiet and just let him get through it. Lily was taking pictures, moving unobtrusively around the room as he spoke and touching Cleo's shoulder when she wanted her out of the shot.

"I fully admit to wanting to hurt my ex-wife, destroy her as much as her actions destroyed me. When she was released early for good behaviour five years ago, it sent me into a spiral. How anyone could get parole after what she did..." Link trailed off and gestured helplessly.

"Was your ex-wife ever assessed for mental issues after what happened?" Percy asked quietly.

"She was assessed to see if she was mentally competent to stand trial, and it was determined that she was. She did have some postpartum depression after she gave birth, but she was treated at the time with antidepressants and therapy. Her lawyer did try to use that as a defence during her trial, but both her defence and the prosecution assessed her, and they both independently came back with the same diagnosis. She was resentful that Kimber got so much of my attention and time. She hated that she was a stay-at-home mom while I got to leave the house for hours every day, but she refused to get a job. Kimber was in school six hours a day; she didn't have to stay home, but it was embarrassing for her that her friends had all graduated, gone to university or college and had careers. She felt she had wasted her life and wanted to get back at me for holding her back." Link finished and leaned back, running a slightly shaking hand over his forehead. "I need a break. Why don't you interview Cleo, and then we'll talk about our relationship together?"

"Yeah, for sure." Percy nodded and turned off the recorder. Link smiled at Cleo and kissed her forehead. "I'm just gonna go for a walk around the park across the street. I'll be back soon."

"Okay." Cleo brushed her hand over the stubble on his jaw and returned her smile. "Be careful."

"Don't worry, I will be." He kissed her again, put on his sneakers and left the room. When the door clicked closed. Percy smiled at her brightly.

"You two are so in love with one another," Lily spoke up from her place at the table. "You act like Mom and Dad do when they think we aren't paying attention." Cleo chuckled at her bluntness.

"He's been wonderful."

"Are you ready to get started?" Percy asked as he saved Link's interview to his computer and got ready to record her. "I read the other article, so I'm just going to do the same with you and let you tell the story in your own words and ask questions if I have any."

"Sure. That works for me." Cleo nodded and took a deep breath. "So I guess I should start with my childhood..."

About thirty minutes into the interview, Link returned, quietly entering the room. Lily was standing by the door, taking pictures, and he asked how Cleo was doing.

"She's doing great. She's very matter-of-fact about it." Lily whispered back. "Way more matter-of-fact than I think I could be."

"She's done loads of therapy, something I'm going to look into when we get back to LA." He murmured to her. Cleo finished a few minutes later, and Link went over and joined her on the couch.

"Okay. I know you're handling telling me all that," Pearcy said, a look of dismay mingled with disgust on his face. "But I think I need a break now." He held out his hand to Lilly, and when she took it, he pulled her down for a tight hug. "I can't even imagine. It would be like me forcing Lily to marry Link."

Link made a face, and Cleo could see he felt guilty about something. "Why don't we meet tomorrow morning for breakfast and do the relationship interview after in a park or something?" She suggested quickly.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea." Percy began to pack up his things. "Bodega Ultima is by Westover Memorial Park, and they'll give us a private room."

"Sounds like a plan." Link followed them to the door, hugging Lily and shaking Percy's hand. When they were gone, his body slumped, and he walked into the room without saying a word, shutting the door behind him. Cleo froze for a second and then remembered their conversation after she told him about her parent's punishments. Taking a deep breath, she pulled out her phone and saw Nico trying to get in touch. Realizing he probably saw the article about her parents and Anthony, she glanced at the closed bedroom door, stepped out onto the balcony and closed it to call Nico back.

"Cleo!" Nico's voice was anxious. "Did you see the article in In Touch?"

"I did." She said evenly.

"Oh. So I guess we need to talk? I would like to do it face-to-face. Can I come to you?"

"We definitely need to talk, but first, I just need to know why you never told me about you and Anthony." It was the only question she had that was bothering her. He watched her go through years of therapy and saw the effect Anthony's treatment of her had on her mental and emotional health. He claimed he loved her, and they were best friends, but he never brought it up.

"A mixture of fear, embarrassment and shame." His voice was shaking, and Cleo realized he was crying; she had never seen him cry before. "I wanted to tell you Bellissima, I did, I just didn't know how. I'm so sorry, I should have told you when you asked me to move to LA with you, I know I should have said something, I was so afraid you'd kick me out of your life and I couldn't handle that."

Cleo took a deep breath. "I'm in Augusta. We'll be here for a week or so. I'll explain everything when you get here."

"Okay, I'm booking a flight now." There was a brief silence. "What hotel?"

"Candlewood Suites on the Ave of the States." Cleo swallowed. "There's a lot going on Nico. Way more than what was in the article, Link and I will tell you about it when you get here."

"I figured it was more than just that, especially since you've been looking into things." He paused. "Did you find out what Hargrove's theory was?"

"That Anthony killed himself? Yeah. Do you think he's right?"

"Yeah, Cleo, I do." His voice was resigned. "I get in tomorrow evening."

"I'm going to meet Link's parents tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure when we'll get back, but I'll text you on the way."

"Link's from Georgia?"

"Yeah, why?"

"So is the guy I'm dating... Just a weird coincidence, I'm sure. I'll see you at some point tomorrow evening, then."

"Okay." Cleo looked up as the balcony door slid open, and Link poked his head out.

"Can I join you?" He asked quietly. "Or did you need a few more minutes?"

"No, come on out." She smiled at him and patted the spot next to her. "I'll see you tomorrow evening, Nico." 

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

 Posted to Wattpad ONLY*