Chapter 37: The LA Times Reporter

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

Link and Cleo arrived in Augusta and checked into their hotel suite around three-thirty. After a quick nap and shower, they were getting dressed when Link got the text that Percy had landed and would be at the hotel soon. Link was dressed casually in a pair of worn jeans and a hunter-green khaki button-down, undone at the neck. Cleo had styled his hair, brushing it back from his face, trimming the ends that had gotten a little long, and running his clippers over the sides. She convinced him to let her do it by explaining Nico had taught her, and whatever his thoughts were on her best friend, he had to admit Nico was a talented hairdresser.

Cleo's hair was a deep black and so shiny and healthy that he had begrudgingly asked Nico for hair recommendations a few months into dating her because he was noticing his hair was starting to thin. Nico had immediately become a consummate professional, studying his hair, asking about his hair products, and questioning him on his parent's hair before giving him a list of product recommendations, explaining how to care for his hair properly and what styles would best suit him. Link had been apprehensive about it, wondering if he was going to regret following his instructions, but the difference had been almost immediate. He now had almost as many hair care products as Cleo, but he had no regrets and had just bought a separate toiletries bag for his hair products.

Cleo was dressed in a pair of skinny, black, high waisted jeans and an off the shoulder, loose, smoky lavender top with long puffy sleeves tucked into the waist. She had French braided her hair back on both sides of her head to the crown so she had pigtails hanging down her shoulders and pulled a few face framing pieces loose. She had just finished her makeup when there was a knock on the door and Link went to open it as she quickly cleaned up the desk she was using as a makeup table.

Link introduced her to Percy, and she was properly charmed when he kissed the back of her hand instead of shaking her hand. He was a teddy bear of a man, with warm hazel eyes that crinkled at the corner when he smiled, curly brown hair that fell over his forehead untidily, chubby cheeks with dimples and looked like he would give the best bear hugs.

"I can't tell you how happy I am to finally meet the woman Link has been talking about." He smiled at her, and she glanced at Link with a grin.

"You've been talking about me?"

"Ever since you two started filming Siren's Song, he has had nothing but praise for your work, even if he was very reluctant about it at first; by the time you came out with your relationship, he was praising more than just your acting abilities." Percy released her hand and followed them into the living area of their suite.

Link let out a groan. "Really Perce? Why do you gotta do me that way?"

"Because she deserves to know these things." Percy chuckled. "My photographer will be here in a minute too; she wanted a nap before she joined us, so we can go ahead and eat, and you can give me a rundown on what's going on, and I'll fill you in on what I've found out."

They ordered room service, and while they waited for it, Link and Percy caught up with each other, and Cleo got to know Percy a little better. He made sure to keep her involved in the conversation and asked her about her life and what she enjoyed about being an actress. When the food arrived, they sat down to eat and gave him a complete rundown of everything that had been going on. They finished, and he leaned back in his chair, wiping his mouth.

"Okay, that's a lot to get into." He paused as he thought. "Before I get into my plan for the article, I need to tell you what I found out." He regarded them thoughtfully. "I did some digging into this Alexis Dubois character, and she doesn't exist. It's a nom de plume, and the magazine refused to give up their real identity. They did tell me that they've paid for two more articles from them."

"So obviously one about me... what's the other one?" Link furrowed his brow as he looked at his friend.

"My best guess? It's either going to be about Cleo's deceased husband and your ex-wife or exposing your relationship as fake."

"Started fake... It's real now." Cleo said quietly, taking Link's hand and lacing her fingers through his.

"That won't matter in the court of public opinion though," Percy said calmly. "So, here's my plan for the article. This person has already scooped me on Cleo's past, so we'll start with Link's. Start with the whole thing about his ex-wife and end it with your relationship. It'll be published on Monday since the next article in the magazine won't be out until Friday, based on their publishing schedule. Cleo's story and perspective on the relationship will be hyped up for the next day's release. Sound good?"

Link and Cleo looked at each other and nodded. "Sounds good." There was a knock on the door, and Percy got up.

"That will be my photographer, just a second." He went to the door and let in a tiny girl who looked just like him. "Cleo, this is my daughter Lilly. She is doing a Design Media Arts Major with a minor in Film, Television and Digital Media at UCLA and is doing her old man a huge favour. Lily, this Cleo Knight."

Lily smiled and shook Cleo's hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"You as well." Cleo returned her smile. "We should move to the living area. You can start interviewing Link while I clean up." She began piling plates together on the trays to move outside the door, and Lily went over to Link and gave him a hug.

"Hey Uncle Link."

"Hey Bug. How are you?" He grinned and hugged her back, lifting her off her feet, which made her giggle.

Cleo looked up in surprise. "Uncle?"

"Not by blood," Percy explained as he watched them with a grin. "But Link has been her Uncle since she was born." Seeing her confusion, he expanded. "Link and I played on rival high school basketball teams growing up and became friends. I moved to LA first, and when Link came, he stayed with me and my wife for the first year. He's been in Lily's life since she was two. Link and I drift in and out of contact, but he's always been the first one we call when it comes to Lily." He helped her move the dishes outside the door as Lilly showed Link her camera and went over the features. "He paid for her treatment when she got leukemia at thirteen and gave her her first "real" camera when she said she was interested in photography."

"He never told me that." Cleo watched them both with a smile.

"Link doesn't like to tell people about the good stuff he does." Percy shook his head. "He's much softer than he wants the world to know."

"That I did know." Cleo chuckled as she laid the dishes outside the door. Percy did the same and then led the way back into the apartment.

"Alright, let's get started, shall we?"

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

 Posted to Wattpad ONLY*