Chapter 20: Next Steps

**This is my original copyrighted work. I will only post on Wattpad. Do not copy or repost to any other apps. If you find this story on another app, please let me know so I can have it taken down. Whoever is stealing my stories, please kindly get a life. There are plenty of AI chatbots out there that can write stories for you if you aren't creative enough to come up with your own.**

"The first thing we have to figure out is where are we going." Cleo sat back on the couch, her phone in her hand. "Are we staying in Canada? Going back to the States? Going to a different country altogether? Isolated cabin? Big city hotel? Going back to Los Angeles? What do you think?"

"I definitely don't want to be isolated in a cabin. I like the idea of going back to the States, just for the simple fact that dealing with foreign law enforcement will be a pain if it comes to that." Link ran his hand through his hair and pulled out his phone. "We're only about a four-hour drive from Buffalo." He looked over at Cleo. "We could look into some stuff on our own."

"Yes, because two fairly famous actors in a very public relationship won't be noticed." Cleo teased him. "And I wouldn't even know where to start."

"We start by renting a car and driving to Buffalo. Which means we have to find someone to drive us to Huntsville because that's the closest car rental place to us.

"Joy and Walter can do that; we can just tell them we want to spend a few days going apple picking." Cleo pulled out her phone and sent Joy a text asking when one of them would be available to take them to Huntsville.

"Okay, we'll pick up the car, park it at the marina, pack our stuff, and leave early in the morning. We'll leave the boat there and give the keys and a note for Joy and Walter with the harbour master... is it a harbour master if it's not a harbour?" Link mused to himself. "Doesn't matter."

"No, it doesn't." Cleo giggled as her phone dinged, and she checked it. "Walter will pick us up at the marina at eight tomorrow morning."

"Okay, so we'll take the car to Buffalo. I don't think we should stay in place for too long, at least until we get a better idea of what's going on here." Link paused as he thought about it. "We're going to need to pick up some different baseball hats and sunglasses. Maybe I should dye my hair."

Cleo pulled her dark ponytail over her shoulder. "Dyeing my hair is labour intensive and expensive, but it is time for me to cut it."

"Cut it?" Link reached out and ran his fingers through the ponytail. "It is a little long. I liked it in Perfect Sense."

"Yeah, I had two back-to-back movies that required longer hair, so I was just getting it trimmed." Cleo smiled. "You watched Perfect Sense?"

"I watched all your movies before we started filming; I wanted to see what kind of actress I would be working with." Link shrugged. "I knew I was going to have to bring my A game. I'm actually a little surprised it took you six movies to reach leading lady status."

"According to Haven, I give off best friend vibes." Cleo grinned, her cheeks red from Link's praise. "I didn't have to watch your movies; I'd seen most of them." Seeing his look of surprise, she elaborated. "Nico and I used to go to the movies a lot."

"Have you heard from him?" Link asked curiously. Cleo nodded.

"Yeah, we've texted a bit, just the usual stuff. Apparently, he hit it off with the chauffeur the night of the premiere, and they've been keeping each other company."

"Isn't he staying in your condo?" Link raised his eyebrow at her. Some of his things were still there.

"He decided not to move in." Cleo shrugged. "Frankie got a job with an actress based in London, so he's moving over there." She looked bewildered as she told him. "He's a great makeup artist, so I'm not surprised he found a job quickly, but how quickly everything is unfolding makes me think he was planning an exit. Anyway, he offered Nico a chance to sublet the apartment, and Nico took him up on it."