Chapter 41: Parents & Perspectives

*Copyright: Stephanie Myrick, 2023. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

Cleo, Link, Lily and Percy headed to the park across from the restaurant, did a photo shoot and then said their goodbyes, with Percy promising to send them a copy of his interview Sunday evening. When they left the park, they started the drive to Shell Bluff to have lunch with Link's parents.

"Nervous?" Link asked as he reached over and took her hand.

"A little," Cleo admitted. "Is it just your parents, or will it be the rest of your family as well?"

"Just my parents this time around." "He smiled and kissed the back of her hand. "They'll love you."

"I feel like we should have brought something." She fretted as she ran her hand through her hair. "It's poor manners to go to a meal and not bring something."

"Okay, let's go get my mother's favourite special treat." Link chuckled. He turned north and a a little while later pulled up in front of a specialty chocolate shop, La Bonbonnaire. Inside, Cleo picked out the Tiffany chocolate box, and Link helped her fill it with his mom's favourite chocolates, and then he picked out one for his dad. "Happy now?" He asked as they got back in the car.

"Yes, thank you." She gave him a radiant grin. "I feel much better now." When they got to his parent's place, a house with a brick exterior set well back from the road with a tree-lined drive, Cleo felt her nerves spike. Anthony's parents hadn't really cared one way or the other as long as she was able to have children and had treated her with general indifference. They were never mean or rude but didn't go out of their way to get to know her. Shoving the thoughts from her head, she got out of the car and watched as Link's mom, a tall, slender woman with a silvery blonde, chin-length bob and Link's brown eyes, came running out of the house and hugged her son tightly. She was followed by a tall, slightly stooped, but still powerfully built man with grey hair and blue eyes, who shook Link's hand as his mother released him and turned her attention to Cleo.

"Mom, Dad," Link smiled as he held out his hand to Cleo, leading her over to stand beside him with his arm around her shoulders. "Meet Cleo Knight, my girlfriend. Cleo, this is my mom, Rose and my Dad, Owen."

"It's so nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Clark." Cleo smiled and held out her hand to shake theirs.

"No need to be so formal," Rose waved her hand dismissively and gave her a gentle hug, catching Cleo by surprise. "Call us Rose and Owen."

"Oh. Okay." Cleo smiled and shook Owen's hand, then handed Rose the box of chocolates. "We got these for you before we left Augusta."

"Oh, thank you so much." Rose looked delighted and pulled her son down to kiss his cheek. "You remembered my favourite."

"I did, but Cleo insisted on bringing you something." Link steered Cleo toward the house. "We can only stay for the afternoon; Cleo's friend is flying in to discuss the article that came out last week, but we'll be back tomorrow."

"Oh yes, we did read it," Rose admitted. "I'm so sorry that someone felt it was their business to go digging into your past, Cleo."

"It kinda goes with the territory of being in the public eye." Cleo shrugged. "I probably should have been more open about it in the beginning."

"Yeah, about the article." Link led the way into the kitchen and pulled the chair out for Cleo. "We had Percy come out and do an interview about both our pasts." He glanced at Cleo, and she nodded her head slightly. "And we need to tell you about how our relationship started as well." Link went into the story, with Cleo helping out and filling in some blanks. When they were done, Link's parents were staring at them in bemusement.