Chapter 11 - Enemies and Dramatics.

"Professor how can you still use your powers? I thought all the people in Blackwood were prohibited from using them." I say, observing her as I pick up the flower without thought, rubbing my fingertips against its soft petal.

"Indeed, most of the teachers adhere to the rule...but I don't" she said looking rather fascinated at my touch of the flower and how easy it was. I was far more interested in her wording, what rules was she failing to obey?

"Where did it come from?" I asked.

"This species of flower is know as the mountain laurel or what I prefer to call it, the Kalmia latifolia, but its properties have an interesting effect when digested or touched." She said, watching and explaining intently, I examined the flower with as much focus as I could though it was very little, probing it, smelling it and even biting a small chunk from it and swallowing it quickly.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing to show it was even dangerous, let alone anything over than a regular flower.

"Nothings happening." I say, bored and staring at the girlish looking flower.

"Well I doubt its as simple as a cup of tea...our powers are tied to us specifically by person, not where we were born or who gave birth to us...that's the beauty of our gifts."

"What's the point in learning to master the names of flowers if I can barely tap into mimicking their properties?" I could feel myself already wavering at the idea, I did a similar thing in Nightside with Wonderboy from my memory. Separating the paralysis property from the Wolfsbane, but it had took me months to cook it up before hand for the exact moment I'd have to use it.

"Shifting the mind between confidence and self-doubt is a tricky thing...allow me to ease you."

She raised from the table and removed the plants from the skylight, light burst in like a flash flood. When it did, the plants all shrunk back into their original pots. Then came the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my entire existence.

Walking, or really wobbling, was a potted plant, root coloured appendages came from beneath the cracked underside that carried it forward. It looked like a large flower pod, bright purple in the shape of a sphere and about the height of a metre that hadn't opened, spindly thin stems tumbling with a silver tray holding a teapot and cups all matching with the same ivy green thorns glazing the white porcelain.

It barely managed to reach our table before dropping it clumsily on the very edge of the table and would've fallen without Wilde's interference. She patted it on the head affectionately.

"Oh wonderful little sprout!, you earned a few hours in the sun and a drink! Mush mush, out you go!" She chirped cheerfully as the pod salutes her like a tiny general before scurrying off quickly into the brushes.

"What was that?"

"Allium giganteum, also known as an Ornamental Onion, onions will do just fine though...I gave them life so that they might help me with my teachings, they'll tend to your every whim should you ask" she said as more of them peep their heads from the green wall of life.

It was kinda scary the way they held onto the plants with leafy like hands, staring without eyes to stare back into.

"Um...tea will do." I blurt out in my silence and the rest of them disappear as quickly as they came, and the moment was gone.

"Don't be too startled, they may be alive but they still hold very little conscience...they still think like plants and even act like it, their only tether to morality is me" she admits.

"So its not slavery if they don't realise it then?" A test, to see where the line was before I made any final judgements.

"Slaves?" Her tone seemed serious, even dark, but a smile forms against her lips as she calls an onion over, it happily scurries over at her feet.