Chapter 10: Addictions

I woke up feeling exhausted, almost panicking, thinking I'd overslept before I realized there was no school today. Smelling breakfast, I forced myself to go ahead and get up, even though I could tell it was still really early.

I rolled over to look at my phone to see just how early it was and was surprised that I had a message. Hoping it was Kaden, I quickly opened it, only to be disappointed when I saw Bri's name.

Kaden said his phone went dead and that he'll talk to you tomorrow.

I checked to see when she'd sent it, and it was after eleven last night. So, Kaden planned on talking to me today. I'd believe it when I heard my phone ring.

I strolled into the kitchen, making sure I took my phone with me. "Why aren't you in bed?" I asked my mom, who was flipping pancakes.

"I wasn't sleepy, so I thought I'd make us something to eat real quick, since my stomach was cussing me, wanting food." She watched me as I sat down. "You sick?"

Lovesick, maybe. "No, just tired."

"Who was here last night?"

"How do you know someone was here?"

She tilted her head toward the living room. "Two glasses."

"Oh." She was more observant than I thought. "It was Trey." She gave me a look. "No, we are just friends and only watched TV and drank milkshakes. He just stopped by to drop off a book. Strictly platonic," I added, my dream replaying in my head, mocking me.

"Even so, you know how I feel about boys being here when I'm not."

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry."

"I know you two are just friends now, but there was more there at one point in time and I don't want you putting yourself in a position that might become too much for you to handle." She put the pancakes onto two plates, got the syrup out of the fridge, and sat down next to me, scooting my plate towards me. "You haven't...?"

"No, Mom, I've not." I laughed uncomfortably. "I so don't want to have this conversation."

"I don't either, so we can both suffer through it together."

She continued to tell me all the ways I could get pregnant or expose myself to one of the many STDs floating around, making sure I knew that she preferred I didn't have sex, but if it got to that point, I needed to protect myself.

"I will. Are you done now?" Lord, I hope so.

"Yes, but know you can always come to me, no matter what it is."

"I know." I smiled. "And thanks."

"You don't have to thank me for loving you. It's just something I do."

When we finished eating, she started to clean up, but I made her quit. "Go on to bed. I'll clean the kitchen up."

She rubbed my head, reminding me of Kaden. "Thanks, sweetie." She yawned as she walked out.

I turned around, taking in the messy kitchen. The rest of the house didn't look much better, so I decided to do some cleaning before I spent the rest of the day reading Trey's book. I put my headphones on and went to work, getting a little carried away. By the time I was done, the house looked like something out of a cheaper, more modest version of Home & Garden. I smiled, knowing Mom would be pleased when she woke up.

I took off my headphones and went to get my phone, realizing I had three missed calls, one being from Kaden. "Well, surprise, surprise. He called me after all."