Chapter 3: That Day

As we approached the entrance to the emergency department, a few of Kaden's friends stood outside the door. Andrew, who was Kaden's best friend, said something to one of their friends, causing them to look at me. Their expressions confirmed my worst fears. Andrew nodded as I passed, but didn't say anything. He looked terrible, and knowing how close he was to Kaden, and how much he was hurting, too, I was glad he didn't bother trying to talk to me.

I couldn't control my emotions as I passed them, causing them all, including Andrew, to look away. The sterile smell of the hospital hit me as we walked in, making me nauseated. I sat down in the closest seat I could find while Mom went to the information desk. She was only there a couple of minutes, while the lady looked Kaden's information up, before walking back to me, putting her arm around me as she sat down.

"His family is in that room right there, if you want to go on in. I'll sit out here and wait."

"I don't want to go in there. I can't...." I tasted snot as I talked, which was too much for my stomach to handle.

I jumped up and ran to the bathroom, which, thankfully, was just across the large waiting area. When mom walked in, I was splashing water on my face, praying I wouldn't be sick. I hated throwing up.

"Sweetie, you need to calm down." Her voice was soft, soothing, not demanding. "I know you're hurting, but you've got to be strong for Brianna. She needs you right now." She grabbed my face. "You're gonna be okay. You've broke down and got it all out, so I know you can do this." She looked at me expectantly, her expression letting me know she had faith in me—more than I had in myself. When I nodded, she smiled, but it was forced and never reflected in her eyes. "Now, let's get you cleaned up."

As she wiped my tears away, I tried to pull it together, for Bri's sake. It felt like a dream—a nightmare—as she wiped my face, the paper towel scratching my skin. I took a few deep breaths, letting them calm me, as I told myself I could be strong, not only for Bri, but for all of them.

"I'm okay."

"I know you are. If at any time you need a break, I'll be right outside in the waiting area." I nodded as she kissed my forehead.

I felt stronger as we walked back out, or maybe I'd just cried out all my tears and didn't have any more to shed. Either way, I was ready to face them and whatever it was they had to tell me, if anything. At this point, silence would probably be more accepted than the truth.

Mom gave me an assuring nod as I opened the door and walked in. "Emersyn," Bri said as she stood up and ran toward me, falling into my arms, which were now strong enough to hold her. I shut my eyes, not wanting to look at her mom and dad, while she leaned down and cried into my shoulder.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get here," I whispered.

"You're here now," she said, her words muffled by my shirt. "That's all that matters."

She held me for another minute or so, both of us rocking back and forth like we were dancing to some unheard, sad song, before she finally let me go. When she looked down at me, she started to say something, but stopped, sucking in a cry-ridden breath instead.

"Come on." I grabbed her hand. "Let's sit down."

I sat down next to her, pulling her back into my shoulder, which prompted her to curl up like a child and lay across my lap. As much as my heart ached, I was holding it together, hoping my composure would last. I looked around, seeing who all was in this tiny room, which felt a bit claustrophobic, with all the sadness and worry that filled it.

Her mom and dad sat across from us, smiling appreciatively at me when my eyes met theirs. Their grandmother, Elizabeth's mom, was sitting beside her, and next to her was their cousin, Blake, who nodded at me, but didn't say anything. No one was saying anything.