Chapter 13: Tears & Laughter

Sitting beside Tilley Middleton as the line started to form was one of the highlights of my life so far. I'd always been on the other side of the table, a random book nerd waiting in a long line of fellow book nerds. Being on the flip side was awesome. I couldn't even imagine if I was the actual author who was signing books. One can dream.

"What my assistant usually does is chat with readers as they get to the table, while they wait, giving them a bookmark that matches their book if they don't have one. Feel free to give them one for each. If they ask for an extra, give them two." She smiled. "Just make sure they already have their books, so they don't get to me and don't have anything to sign. You won't believe how often that happens, thinking they can buy the book from me. It's so much easier going through the store."

"Okay." I'm sure the smile that threatened to split the corners of my mouth let her know I was more than thrilled to be helping her. I'm sure my fellow book nerds would be jealous. I know I would be if I was in line.

Since the line was getting longer by the second, I didn't bother asking about what I'd sent her last night, if she'd gotten a chance to look at any of it. I knew I wouldn't forget to ask her later before she left. One doesn't simply forget about things that may change their life forever.

Speaking of things that are life-changing, or in this case, a person, it was almost ten o'clock last night before Kaden texted me, since he thought I'd been at work till nine. I'd started to text him and tell him I was home, share my possible good news, and nonchalantly ask him what he'd been up to this evening, but decided to wait. I thought he wasn't going to call or text me at all, which would've been a very bad move on his part, so I was thankful when my phone lit up.

Did you have a good day?

Yes, rather exciting, actually. What about you? I couldn't wait to see how he responded to that.

No, not so much once you left.

I waited, but that's all he said, no mention of Brooke. Well, that's too bad. I gave him another chance to tell me and waited to see if he would, but he didn't.

What happened that was so exciting? he asked.

I told him about Tilley and her agent, which he agreed was awesome. He told me he loved me and that he'd talk to me after the signing event, which would now be in a few hours. I hoped that talk included a confession about Brooke, because if I had to bring it up first, that wouldn't bode well for him.

Sleep had taunted me all night last night, never letting me completely fall under its spell. Needless to say, I got up with circles under my eyes this morning, thankful Mom had some concealer in her makeup bag. I usually didn't wear much makeup, but opted to go ahead and utilize the entire contents of her bag, since it was a special occasion, making my eyelashes look impossibly long, like a spider was trying to escape from my eye sockets.

I had on a long, blue sweater dress, which hung midway down the length of my knee-high boots, with a thin, light yellow scarf wrapped around my neck. I left my hair down, hanging in large curls that almost matched the color of my scarf, which contrasted drastically with Tilley's bright red hair.

"Are you ready?" she asked, catching me mid-yawn.

I nodded, cutting it off. "Yes, and if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

She took the first customer's book and started making small talk as she signed it. I was amazed at how she seemed to devote her full attention to each person, while keeping the line moving along at a decent pace, keeping the long line from having to wait too long. It didn't slow down until a couple of hours later, when the line was contained to inside the store, instead of down the sidewalk. At least it was a beautiful, rainless, yet chilly, day.