Chapter 12: Scrap

I'd walked him to his SUV as he left... at three o'clock in the morning. "I love you, Kaden Jones." I also loved hearing myself say those words out loud.

He kissed me. "I love you, too." He started to leave, but I held on to him, afraid it really was a dream and that I'd wake up once he was gone. "I've got to go," he said. "We both have to get up early in the morning."

"You mean in a few hours."

"Yeah."

After he kissed me, I reluctantly let go of him. "Text me when you get home so I know you made it okay."

He smiled at my request, kissing me one last time. "Okay." And he was gone.

I floated back into the house, reliving the night over and over again until I fell asleep, which didn't take long. My phone woke me up shortly after.

I'm home. Thanks for tonight. You don't know how badly I needed that. Needed you. And then he'd sent another one right after that. I love you.

I sent one back telling him I loved him, too. God, how I love him. He's mine. I'm his. Kaden and I are officially an us. Those thoughts continued to fill my mind, leaking over into my dreams, until my alarm clock woke me up, hammering my brain with each annoyingly loud beep. I turned it off, rolled over, and went back to sleep.

I hadn't been asleep long when Mom woke me up again. "Emersyn? Are you not going to school?" She sounded concerned, knowing I rarely, if ever, missed school.

"No." I covered my head up with my pillow.

"Are you sick?"

"Yes." I was sick of being woke up every hour when I'd barely gotten any sleep.

"Well, you just rest today and I'll call the school and let them know."

"Thanks, Mom." When she walked out, I grabbed my phone and texted Bri so she'd know not to pick me up. I'd barely laid my phone down when she sent me one back.

Yeah, I already heard about your long night. ;-)

I went back to sleep and slept until almost lunchtime. Mom was still asleep when I got up, so I made something for us to eat, knowing she'd be up soon. I'd already started eating my eggs when she walked in.

"Smells like you're feeling better. Thanks for breakfast."

"You're welcome." I sounded like crap, my voice hoarse.

The Weasley twins' voices echoed one of my favorite book quotes across the kitchen, letting me know I had a text. "Did that say you're up to no good?" Mom asked. When I nodded, she smiled. "I thought so."

When I picked up my phone, taking a swig of milk, I almost choked. Kaden had sent a picture of himself at therapy, conveniently wearing nothing but shorts, which were riding rather low, showing off every new muscle he'd gained since the accident.

"What is it?" Mom asked concerned.

I shook my head. "Nothing." She raised an eyebrow at me, knowing I was lying. "Okay, here." I smiled as I scooted my phone across the table to her.

"Oh, my." Her face turned a little pink as she slid my phone back to me. "He looks... good."

"Yes... yes he does." I'm sure my face was pink, too.

When he'd played ball, he stayed lean, but now he had started building up his body to help make up for the parts that were missing. His work had clearly paid off.

"So, why would he send that to you?"

I shrugged. "I guess he wanted to show off his new leg and arm, and everything in between." She tilted her head as she took a bite of toast, eyeing me curiously. "What?" I knew that look.